Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Default Kayak - cockpit combing

Here's a few shots of the cockpit combing and rim comming together. It's ash
BTW.

I Tack-welded the first couple few pieces with holt melt glue and then found
that they would stay put with just rubbing the yellow glue.

If I ever do this again I'll orient the pieces perpendiular to the adjacent
opening edge, rather than vertically. It would take a little tapering, but I
think it would look a bit better and would leave me stair-step top surface
to rasp away.

Thanks for looking,

Steve

Attached Thumbnails
Kayak - cockpit combing-boat-059-large-jpg  Kayak - cockpit combing-boat-057-large-jpg  Kayak - cockpit combing-boat-054-large-jpg
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Another wow!
Very interesting.
Looks like it is coming along well.
Do I see some sanding to be done on the body?
That is not fiberglass so it is a water based epoxy coat.
I imagine you can sand and do more coats as necessary.

I am working on a round wooden rdwd table.
I found an old water tank with a bottom that I salvaged and dried.
I put it back together with dowels etc. and now trying to come up with a
design for table legs, etc.
hummmm
nice kayak.
When are you sailing away?
john
"C & S" wrote in message
Here's a few shots of the cockpit combing and rim comming together. It's
ash BTW.

I Tack-welded the first couple few pieces with holt melt glue and then
found that they would stay put with just rubbing the yellow glue.

If I ever do this again I'll orient the pieces perpendiular to the
adjacent opening edge, rather than vertically. It would take a little
tapering, but I think it would look a bit better and would leave me
stair-step top surface to rasp away.

Thanks for looking,

Steve

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Another wow!
Very interesting.
Looks like it is coming along well.
Do I see some sanding to be done on the body?

Yes. Drips dribbles and smears in the epoxy. Theres actually a whole lot
more "defects" in the epoxy coat now that the shear (seam between hull and
deck) has been glassed. You can lay it out nice and smooth ... and then a
drip will form 2 hours later. Ugh! I find that a file is the most effective
and pinpoint tool for knocking off the high spots. It's an exercise in
flattening more so than smoothing.

That is not fiberglass so it is a water based epoxy coat.

Yes it is fiberglass cloth, saturated with epoxy and then additional coats
to fill the texture of the weave.

I imagine you can sand and do more coats as necessary.

Yep.

Regards,

Steve

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

And what do you do if they don't fit?

I make them fit with bute force.

There is enough flex in the halves that I pushed the sections coplaner.
There is clamping pressure that the friction between hull and deck holds the
the alignment adjustments made by hand.

Also, the glassed hull and deck remained on the forms as much as possible to
help retain the proper shape. Epoxy shrinks as it cures and would otherwise
tend to warp the halves.

-Steve

Attached Thumbnails
Kayak - cockpit combing-boat-082-large-jpg

Combing RF signals borosteve UK diy 6 August 22nd 07 05:49 PM
KAYAK J T Woodworking 0 April 23rd 07 05:42 AM
Kayak Plans Joe Larade Woodworking 9 March 19th 04 09:09 AM