Joe Larade

Default Kayak Plans

Now that the spring is apparently on the way, I am again toying with the
idea of building my own one man kayak. I would appreciate any advice on
a plan or resource that help anyone to have a success. I was thinking
about 16 - 17 '. Thanks in advance.

Fred the Red Shirt

Joe Larade wrote in message ...
Now that the spring is apparently on the way, I am again toying with the
idea of building my own one man kayak. I would appreciate any advice on
a plan or resource that help anyone to have a success. I was thinking
about 16 - 17 '. Thanks in advance.

I suggest you go to www.google.com and search through the archives
of rec.boats.building and rec.boats.paddle. Lots of good information
there, and there are a lot of free canoe plans and some free kayak
plans on the web. Marine plywood, ordinary 1/4" ply and even
1/8" doorskins are popular materials.

--

FF
Rumpty

"Michael Daly" wrote in message
On 16-Mar-2004, "Rumpty" wrote:

http://www.clcboats.com/

This is a stitch and glue kayak site.

Stitch and glue is the best way of building a kayak. The CLC site has a
wealth of info, decent plans for purchase and several kayak building books
forsale.

rec.boats.kayak

rec.boats.kayak is not a real newgroup and is not supported on
all news hosts. Try rec,boats.paddle.touring instead.

Then try rec.boats.building it's a very active group.

--

Rumpty

Carl McCarty

Hi Joe,
I've built both the CLC cheasepeake 16LT and 17LT. I've also built a
strip canoe. There is a lot of info on the web. Do a search on Amazon
for books on the subject. Stich and glue is a quick and easy way to get
aboat together. Strip built is much slower but you can make a fantastic
looking boat. Reply back with any specific questions, I'll be happy to help.
Carl McCarty

Joe Larade wrote:

Now that the spring is apparently on the way, I am again toying with
the idea of building my own one man kayak. I would appreciate any
advice on a plan or resource that help anyone to have a success. I
was thinking about 16 - 17 '. Thanks in advance.

J.B. Bobbitt

I've currently got a wherry under construction. The kit is from Wayland
Marine (I highly recommend them, no affiliation); the construction is
stitch-and-glue. Its a good method.

-JBB

"Joe Larade" wrote in message
Now that the spring is apparently on the way, I am again toying with the
idea of building my own one man kayak. I would appreciate any advice on
a plan or resource that help anyone to have a success. I was thinking
about 16 - 17 '. Thanks in advance.

Lazarus Long

Wooden Boat magazine had a two part article about building one. I
think they sell those back issues.

On Tue, 16 Mar 2004 11:38:17 -0400, Joe Larade
wrote:

Now that the spring is apparently on the way, I am again toying with the
idea of building my own one man kayak. I would appreciate any advice on
a plan or resource that help anyone to have a success. I was thinking
about 16 - 17 '. Thanks in advance.

gazzer

http://www.woodenboatstore.com/store...ts.asp?dept=50

Good luck

Joe Larade wrote in news:40571F69.5050907
@syd.eastlink.ca:

Now that the spring is apparently on the way, I am again toying with the
idea of building my own one man kayak. I would appreciate any advice on
a plan or resource that help anyone to have a success. I was thinking
about 16 - 17 '. Thanks in advance.

xylene

"Skin on frame" my friend... Google-up 'baidarka' or 'greenland kayak' or
visit the bookstore/library. I have a 17' baidarka that is light, really
cool looking, performs well, with a rich history and pedigree.

Now that the spring is apparently on the way, I am again toying with the
idea of building my own one man kayak. I would appreciate any advice on
a plan or resource that help anyone to have a success. I was thinking
about 16 - 17 '. Thanks in advance.

John Keeney

"Joe Larade" wrote in message
Now that the spring is apparently on the way, I am again toying with the
idea of building my own one man kayak. I would appreciate any advice on
a plan or resource that help anyone to have a success. I was thinking
about 16 - 17 '. Thanks in advance.

I booked marked this spot a couple of days ago so I could go back
and look at the two listings for kayaks a little later:

http://woodworkweb.com/woodwork/down...-16-10-10.html

I broke down and bought a couple of cheap new plastic jobs last summer
for a couple of hundred bucks a piece. I'm not disappointed in them.

FAQ Marlene & John Schwab Woodworking 2 October 23rd 03 12:47 AM
SEASONS GREETINGS BLOCKS Jack-of-all-trades - JOAT Woodworking 2 September 8th 03 05:06 PM
Plans Tom Watson Woodworking 4 August 23rd 03 03:57 AM
Protecting Designs WoodJunkie Woodworking 3 August 4th 03 02:08 PM
Please help recommend joints for dresser/armoire plans! Kent P. Iler Woodworking 10 August 2nd 03 10:43 PM