Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Default Disaster update

Slow going. Have a lot of different things to deal with.
Cracked windows and warped vinyl siding on house....but
thankfully no fire damage.
Some wood privacy fence to replace.
Two damaged trees to take out...one is a huge oak. Best
estimate I have is $1900.00.
Shop to clean up and rebuild.
But the hardest part is listing all the stuff destroyed by the
fire. Shop and all its contents, attached garden shed with yard and
garden stuff, and attached covered patio with grill(expensive genair),
smoker, and outdoor furniture.
Insurance seems to be coming thru within the limits of my policy.
Will keep you posted.

George (aka Bumhead)

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
Han Han is offline

bumhead wrote in
:

Slow going. Have a lot of different things to deal with.
Cracked windows and warped vinyl siding on house....but
thankfully no fire damage.
Some wood privacy fence to replace.
Two damaged trees to take out...one is a huge oak. Best
estimate I have is $1900.00.
Shop to clean up and rebuild.
But the hardest part is listing all the stuff destroyed by the
fire. Shop and all its contents, attached garden shed with yard and
garden stuff, and attached covered patio with grill(expensive genair),
smoker, and outdoor furniture.
Insurance seems to be coming thru within the limits of my policy.
Will keep you posted.

George (aka Bumhead)

Hope all will work out. Keep us up to date.

Thinking of you ...

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Not easy.........Burn out is hard to clean.....

this lets me think that a good digital photo of interior/house, home,yard,
etc.
would be nice to have incase of such events.
trouble is, the photo could also get burned?
life has its challenges.....
keep up the chin.
jloomis
"bumhead" wrote in message
Slow going. Have a lot of different things to deal with.
Cracked windows and warped vinyl siding on house....but
thankfully no fire damage.
Some wood privacy fence to replace.
Two damaged trees to take out...one is a huge oak. Best
estimate I have is $1900.00.
Shop to clean up and rebuild.
But the hardest part is listing all the stuff destroyed by the
fire. Shop and all its contents, attached garden shed with yard and
garden stuff, and attached covered patio with grill(expensive genair),
smoker, and outdoor furniture.
Insurance seems to be coming thru within the limits of my policy.
Will keep you posted.

George (aka Bumhead)

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"bumhead" wrote in message
Slow going. Have a lot of different things to deal with.
Cracked windows and warped vinyl siding on house....but
thankfully no fire damage.
Some wood privacy fence to replace.
Two damaged trees to take out...one is a huge oak. Best
estimate I have is $1900.00.
Shop to clean up and rebuild.
But the hardest part is listing all the stuff destroyed by the
fire. Shop and all its contents, attached garden shed with yard and
garden stuff, and attached covered patio with grill(expensive genair),
smoker, and outdoor furniture.
Insurance seems to be coming thru within the limits of my policy.
Will keep you posted.

George (aka Bumhead)

Something to keep in mind, the quote to remove the trees should be covered
by insurance AND trees contribute to the value of your home/property. The
insurance company should also provide some compensation for the loss of
those trees just like any other thing of value lost in the fire. Same goes
for the fence.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On Wed, 22 Apr 2009 06:48:57 -0700, "jloomis" wrote:

Good idea, especially if you upload copies of the pictures to an online
service..
In my case, I'll clean the shop really well before pictures, or they might look
at the shavings and stuff and call it a fire hazard.. lol

Not easy.........Burn out is hard to clean.....

this lets me think that a good digital photo of interior/house, home,yard,
etc.
would be nice to have incase of such events.
trouble is, the photo could also get burned?
life has its challenges.....
keep up the chin.
jloomis
"bumhead" wrote in message
.. .
Slow going. Have a lot of different things to deal with.
Cracked windows and warped vinyl siding on house....but
thankfully no fire damage.
Some wood privacy fence to replace.
Two damaged trees to take out...one is a huge oak. Best
estimate I have is $1900.00.
Shop to clean up and rebuild.
But the hardest part is listing all the stuff destroyed by the
fire. Shop and all its contents, attached garden shed with yard and
garden stuff, and attached covered patio with grill(expensive genair),
smoker, and outdoor furniture.
Insurance seems to be coming thru within the limits of my policy.
Will keep you posted.

George (aka Bumhead)

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

mac davis wrote:
On Wed, 22 Apr 2009 06:48:57 -0700, "jloomis" wrote:

Good idea, especially if you upload copies of the pictures to an online
service..
In my case, I'll clean the shop really well before pictures, or they might look
at the shavings and stuff and call it a fire hazard.. lol

That's where a shop website comes in handy ... providing the server is
not on site.

Before and after pictures, along with a good spreadsheet, got me
approximately $11,000+ extra when we lost our house during Allison in
'01, and made the $1500 when the shop flooded last August a slam dunk.

One of the things I do, as a builder, is to take digital pictures,
pre-insulation/drywall, of _every_ wall and framing element in a new
house, showing all HVAC ductwork, electrical and plumbing. I put them on
a CD and give it to the owner when it sells.

And, most importantly, I can't tell how many times that practice has
saved my butt, hours of time, and countless $$'s during electrical trim
out and cabinet installation, either in new construction or remodeling.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote

That's where a shop website comes in handy ... providing the server is not
on site.

Before and after pictures, along with a good spreadsheet, got me
approximately $11,000+ extra when we lost our house during Allison in '01,
and made the $1500 when the shop flooded last August a slam dunk.

Reminds me of the fire that Tom Silva's brother had on TOH. He had made up
a bunch of videos showing off his house and their many antiques. He had
given these videos to family members for christmas. The fire happened and
all the records were wiped out. But that video saved the day. They sat
down and reviewed the video with the insurance adjuster. The settlement was
much larger as a result.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

1992 went through something similar. Wasn't the shop that burned but rather
the house. only thing I had left was the clothes on my back, Oh! Dam, I was
wearing a company uniform! had a pair a skivvies, pair of socks, and a pair
of shoes.
I understand what you are going through.
Don't forget to keep an accurate account of everything lost and the value.
What insurance don't pay, you can deduct from your income taxes as a loss. I
went through the ashes and inventoried every thing there, had an auctioneer
give me a swayed (but not so much though) market value of every thing there.
I thought I was well insured. I was a college student at the time and had
bought a small place so as to not pay rent, i.e. someone else's mortgage. I
didn't realize just how much I had or what the replacement cost was or what
the market value was. After insurance paid out, I still had a $30 K loss
that I was able to deduct! Made a big difference in my taxes, especially
since I got married later that year.

I hope everything works out and best of luck to ya
Mike

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

A big old oak tree, thinkin, bandmill and lumber to last a long time!

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Fleatown Wood" wrote in message
A big old oak tree, thinkin, bandmill and lumber to last a long time!

Wouldn't want to mention that part to the insurance company. ;~) Besides
that would be a potential future asset of unknown value. Some of it could
be unusable and market conditions change.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Yea,
All the instruction manuals for my tools (with the origional
purchase receipt stapeled inside) were in my shop.

wrote:

Not easy.........Burn out is hard to clean.....

this lets me think that a good digital photo of interior/house, home,yard,
etc.
would be nice to have incase of such events.
trouble is, the photo could also get burned?
life has its challenges.....
keep up the chin.
jloomis
.. .