Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Default Real (Wo)Mans 20" planer, 9.8HP Diesel (w/pics)

Hello everyone,

At the Woodstock woodshow this year I was approached by a woman who was
looking for an unusual planer. I had previously sold her some nice
woodworking equipment and knew she likes good tools.

Her husband runs a tree removal service and brings lots of logs home. They
bought a diesel band mill and are milling the trees into lumber. The band
mill is out in the back 40 of their property and they only have a small
generator for lights. She was looking for a diesel powered planer to use in
the shed and keep the shavings at the back of the property. She had looked
and asked all over if there was such a thing. I told her I had not seen one.
A lightbulb light up in my head! I had bought a used HD 20" planer from a
small shop that had stopped milling their own lumber that would be perfect
for conversion to diesel. The electric motor was mounted up front, the
entire machine was cast iron and it had a segmented infeed roller.

Once I had cleaned up from the Woodstock woodshow, my mechanic and I at work
looked over the used machine, decided conversion to diesel was possible and
worked out the price. Rebuilding the planer and converting it took a full
week. Rich did a great job.

The planer now starts with the turn of a key and the 9.8 HP diesel roars to
life.

We did some testing on the planer yesterday and everyone in the shop who
watched had a big grin on their face. Just for fun, we took a 1/4" off on
one pass, not a whimper from the planer.

Mr. came to pick up the planer for his wife today. The best line I heard
was, "I don't want a 10 HP diesel planer, I want a wife who wants a 10HP
diesel planer!". I won't embarrass Richard by letting everyone know who said
that.

Thanks for looking,

David.

Every Neighbourhood has one, in Mine I'm Him

Attached Thumbnails
Real (Wo)Mans 20" planer, 9.8HP Diesel (w/pics)-dplaner4-jpg  Real (Wo)Mans 20" planer, 9.8HP Diesel (w/pics)-dplaner1-jpg  Real (Wo)Mans 20" planer, 9.8HP Diesel (w/pics)-dplaner2-jpg  Real (Wo)Mans 20" planer, 9.8HP Diesel (w/pics)-dplaner3-jpg
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"David F. Eisan"

\
Mr. came to pick up the planer for his wife today. The best line I heard
was, "I don't want a 10 HP diesel planer, I want a wife who wants a 10HP
diesel planer!". I won't embarrass Richard by letting everyone know who
said that.

Great story, thanks for sharing ... sounds like you have the making's of a
TV series to compete with Orange County Chopper.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On 11/19/08 6:29 PMNov 19, "David F. Eisan"
wrote:

We did some testing on the planer yesterday and everyone in the shop who
watched had a big grin on their face. Just for fun, we took a 1/4" off on
one pass, not a whimper from the planer.

Wow! I particularly like the "steering" wheel. It looks like it could be
self-propelled. Why bother bringing the lumber to the mill when you can take
the mill to the forest?

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Bob Haar" wrote

wrote:

We did some testing on the planer yesterday and everyone in the shop who
watched had a big grin on their face. Just for fun, we took a 1/4" off on
one pass, not a whimper from the planer.

Wow! I particularly like the "steering" wheel. It looks like it could be
self-propelled. Why bother bringing the lumber to the mill when you can
take
the mill to the forest?

There ya go.

With a little design work on an innovative cart for this thing, it could
become a self propelled planer!