Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Default student work

I thought I would post some shots of the work my HS students have done this
year. All are first year students (some 1st semester, some 2nd)

--
"When you men get home and face an anti-war protester, look him in the eyes
and shake his hand. Then, wink at his girlfriend, because she knows she's

General Tommy Franks

Attached Thumbnails
student work-100_0261-jpg  student work-100_0112-jpg  student work-100_0130-jpg  student work-100_0133-jpg  student work-100_0229-jpg

student work-100_0230-jpg  student work-100_0257-jpg  student work-100_0258-jpg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_0138.JPG (57.7 KB, 30 views)
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On Sat, 26 Jan 2008 05:18:17 -0800, "Glen"
wrote:

I thought I would post some shots of the work my HS students have done this
year. All are first year students (some 1st semester, some 2nd)

I can see the pride in the way the students display their work!

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Glen" wrote in message
I thought I would post some shots of the work my HS students have done this
year. All are first year students (some 1st semester, some 2nd)

They did good. Hopefully, they learned a skill that will be of great help
for many years both for practicality and for pleasure.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Glen wrote:
I thought I would post some shots of the work my HS students have done this
year. All are first year students (some 1st semester, some 2nd)

All very respectable work. Why didn't we have girls in MY shop class!

--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

We secretly replaced the dilithium
with Folger's Crystals...

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Let me tell you a bit about one of the girls whose work I posted (jewlery
box and night stand). She is a special ed. student with 3rd grade reading
ability and 2nd grade math. When she entered my class as a first semester
student last spring she had a very low self concept from years of being the
"class dummy." I require my students to read a section of the text on any
power tool before they can use the machine, then they have to list the
safety rules and sketch the machine labeling the main parts. The reading
was beyond her. I had a TA in the class who helped her and read the
material with her. She started slowly but began to blossom. She still
works slowly, but puts care into each step. Her schedule this year, as a
2nd semester student wouldn't allow her to fit in the 1b (second semester)
class, but I worked it out with the guidance office so she could enroll as a
1b in a 1a class (absolute beginners). Here she was the expert. Other
"normal" students came to her for advice. This was what she needed! For
the first ime in her academic life SHE was the whiz kid. Having taught for
34 years, watching this youn lady grow has been one of the highlights of my
career.

Glen

"Gerald Ross" wrote in message
. ..
Glen wrote:
I thought I would post some shots of the work my HS students have done
this year. All are first year students (some 1st semester, some 2nd)

All very respectable work. Why didn't we have girls in MY shop class!

--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

We secretly replaced the dilithium
with Folger's Crystals...

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Glen you are a rarity among teachers - one that still have the love of
teaching, but also the caring feelings for the students needs.

You didn't say if this was a public school or not, but I hope that it
is. If so, there is still hope for public education in this country.

Thank you for sharing this story.

John AKA Cooniedog

Glen wrote:
I thought I would post some shots of the work my HS students have done
this year. All are first year students (some 1st semester, some 2nd)

All very respectable work. Why didn't we have girls in MY shop class!

--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

We secretly replaced the dilithium
with Folger's Crystals...

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Cooniedog" wrote in message
Glen you are a rarity among teachers - one that still have the love of
teaching, but also the caring feelings for the students needs.

Very well said, Being 56 and having a two children 13 & 18 I have to say
even living a area were the school are suppose to be top notch it's amazing
how many teachers are doing nothing but collecting a check and bulling
students God forbid they might have fun at school and enjoy it. But there
are those stand out teachers that make the dereference.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Good for her and good for you. It's amazing what some "special ed."
students can do when they find something that interests them and someone who
is willing to take the time and effort to support them. It' too bad there
aren't more teacher around like you.

Glen wrote:
I thought I would post some shots of the work my HS students have done
this year. All are first year students (some 1st semester, some 2nd)

All very respectable work. Why didn't we have girls in MY shop class!

--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

We secretly replaced the dilithium
with Folger's Crystals...

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Glen" wrote in message
She started slowly but began to blossom. She still works slowly, but
puts care into each step. Her schedule this year, as a 2nd semester
student wouldn't allow her to fit in the 1b (second semester) class, but I
worked it out with the guidance office so she could enroll as a 1b in a 1a
class (absolute beginners). Here she was the expert. Other "normal"
students came to her for advice. This was what she needed! For the first
ime in her academic life SHE was the whiz kid. Having taught for 34
years, watching this youn lady grow has been one of the highlights of my
career.

Good for both of you. That may be life changing for her, building
confidence, showing abilities not seen before, making her productive and
fulfilled in life. Thanks for sharing. You may also want to tell her
others that have been in the hobby for a while admired her work.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Glen wrote:

Let me tell you a bit about one of the girls whose work I posted (jewlery
box and night stand). She is a special ed. student with 3rd grade reading

The nightstand was my favorite piece in the group. Very clean, elegant
design, and from all appearances an excellent execution as well. Pass on
to them all a 'job well done', but especially to her...

....Kevin
--
Kevin Miller, Juneau, Alaska
http://www.alaska.net/~atftb

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Gerald Ross wrote:

Glen wrote:
I thought I would post some shots of the work my HS students have done
this
year. All are first year students (some 1st semester, some 2nd)

All very respectable work. Why didn't we have girls in MY shop class!

You just didn't notice them. They were the ones with the beards! ;-)

....Kevin
--
Kevin Miller, Juneau, Alaska
http://www.alaska.net/~atftb
Registered Linux User No: 307357
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Are they in the Witness Protection Program?

B.
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

What a great story Glen. Would you mind if I share
it with my niece? She is a 2nd year special needs
teacher and she could sure use some encouragement.
Puff

Glen wrote:
I thought I would post some shots of the work
my HS students have done this year. All are
first year students (some 1st semester, some
2nd)

All very respectable work. Why didn't we have
girls in MY shop class!

--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

We secretly replaced the dilithium
with Folger's Crystals...

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Thank you for your kind words.

I do teach in a public school, student population 3400. We are in Southern
California, not very far from Los Angeles. While as a school we have all of
the problems that other schools in our area suffer (gangs, drugs, violence,
30% non-English speaking), teaching vocational is very different than
teaching academic in that all of the advanced students actually want to be
in the class, as do most of the 1a's. Some 1a's, however, are only there
because guidance had nowhere else to put them and they are just doing time.
Most of these do, eventually, join in the fun. After they see other kids
having a good time and making things they lose that "aloof, I don't give a
damn about school attitude" and start to work.

One thing I really want to do, if I can get some funding for start-up, is
start a "neander class." I would gear this to kids who have already had
some experience in the general woods class. I would like to get a variety
of different planes, but planes of good quality, along with dovetail saws,
etc., and work this in to the program. I think that would be pretty cool.

Glen

General Tommy Franks

Glen wrote:
I thought I would post some shots of the work my HS students have done
this year. All are first year students (some 1st semester, some 2nd)

All very respectable work. Why didn't we have girls in MY shop class!

--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

We secretly replaced the dilithium
with Folger's Crystals...

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Hi Glen.
You may be able to get them donated if you do a bit of leg work and talk to
some of the tool outlets in your area. They may all say no but it's worth a
try. Let them know who it's for and take the pictures with you it should
help with your pitch.
Jim

"Glen" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

In article ,
"Glen" wrote:

One thing I really want to do, if I can get some funding for start-up, is
start a "neander class." I would gear this to kids who have already had
some experience in the general woods class. I would like to get a variety
of different planes, but planes of good quality, along with dovetail saws,
etc., and work this in to the program. I think that would be pretty cool.

Glen

If you are wanting to run a neander class, the old tools list would be a
good place to look for user tools. One suggestion would be to make some
of the tools - ie, see what sort of deal Rev. Ron will cut you for a
bulk deal on irons, and have kids make wooden planes.

http://people.iarc.uaf.edu/~cswingle/archive/faq.html

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Glen wrote:
[...]

Great story. Thank you for sharing. As a parent of a learning disabled
student thank you for going the extra mile. My daughter had a similar
experience where she was put in a remedial computer class. Because she
is pretty savvy on the computer, other in the class have been asking for
her help in the class. The boost to her self esteem was priceless as in
the case of your student.

Thank you again for being a great teacher!

David Bridgeman