Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
Puff Griffis Puff Griffis is offline

Default student work

What a great story Glen. Would you mind if I share
it with my niece? She is a 2nd year special needs
teacher and she could sure use some encouragement.
Puff

"Glen" wrote in message
Let me tell you a bit about one of the girls
whose work I posted (jewlery box and night
stand). She is a special ed. student with 3rd
grade reading ability and 2nd grade math. When
she entered my class as a first semester student
last spring she had a very low self concept from
years of being the "class dummy." I require my
students to read a section of the text on any
power tool before they can use the machine, then
they have to list the safety rules and sketch
the machine labeling the main parts. The
reading was beyond her. I had a TA in the class
who helped her and read the material with her.
She started slowly but began to blossom. She
still works slowly, but puts care into each
step. Her schedule this year, as a 2nd semester
student wouldn't allow her to fit in the 1b
(second semester) class, but I worked it out
with the guidance office so she could enroll as
a 1b in a 1a class (absolute beginners). Here
she was the expert. Other "normal" students
came to her for advice. This was what she
needed! For the first ime in her academic life
SHE was the whiz kid. Having taught for 34
years, watching this youn lady grow has been one
of the highlights of my career.

Glen

"Gerald Ross" wrote in
message
. ..
Glen wrote:
I thought I would post some shots of the work
my HS students have done this year. All are
first year students (some 1st semester, some
2nd)

All very respectable work. Why didn't we have
girls in MY shop class!

--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA