Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Default Timers for dust collector systems, how long do they stay on after you shut off your machine?

Greetings,

I am interested in a dust collection system, 2hp, for my shop.

What I want is when I turn a machine, there might be 12 machines, it turn on the dust collector and stays on 3 or so minutes after I
turn off that machine.

Am I going to have install 'gates'? Or can they also be controlled by the machine?

W. Kirk Crawford
Tularosa, New Mexico

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"W. Kirk Crawford" wrote in message
Greetings,

I am interested in a dust collection system, 2hp, for my shop.

What I want is when I turn a machine, there might be 12 machines, it turn
on the dust collector and stays on 3 or so minutes after I turn off that
machine.

Am I going to have install 'gates'? Or can they also be controlled by the
machine?

W. Kirk Crawford
Tularosa, New Mexico

You may be looking for a more elaborate set up but Jet offers a remote
control with some of their collectors that has a count down timer, you dial
in the time and it runs that long, or simply turns on and off remotely or
manually.

Why do you want the collector to run for that long of a period of time after
you turn a machine off? Do you start up and stop with in that period of
time and want to avoid the collector starting and stopping so often?

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On Sun, 11 Nov 2007 08:29:04 -0700, "W. Kirk Crawford"
wrote:

I am interested in a dust collection system, 2hp, for my shop.

What I want is when I turn a machine, there might be 12 machines, it turn on the dust collector and stays on 3 or so minutes after I
turn off that machine.

Am I going to have install 'gates'? Or can they also be controlled by the machine?

If you haven't already found it, I'd recommend spending some time on
Bill Pentz's dust collection website,
http://billpentz.com/woodworking/cyclone/index.cfm

Questions have been raised about some of the data and opinions
expressed by Bill on the site, but it remains the most comprehensive
and, IMO, objective discussions on the design and implementation of
dust collection that I've encountered.

Gates:

Yes. If you have 12 machines serviced by the DC, there is no possible
way that a 2HP system will provide sufficient airflow to service 12
machines simultaneously. You'll have to shut of the flow at the unused
machines to have enough flow at the one being used. Gates are
commercially available in all the common duct sizes and they are
fairly simple to build for yourself. Numerous articles and plans for
shop-built blast gates are available. DAGS if you're interested.

There are methods of automatically controlling the gates. One
commercially available system can be found with a Google search on
"EcoGate". You'll have to decide for yourself whether such a feature
is cost effective for your operation.

Don't know the size of your shop, but if you can comfortably fit 12
machines in it, you might want to reconsider the power of your system.
2HP sounds a little small to me. My shop is about 1200 sqft and a 2 HP
blower proved unsatisfactory. I am currently installing a 5HP blower
wheel in my cyclone.

Time Delay:

Can't speak for anyone else, but there is enough rotary inertia in the
motor and blower wheel of my system to keep it spinning and moving air
for more than enough time to clear the ducts after the DC is turned
off. Personally, I'd consider a time delay relay to have an advantage
only if the DC would otherwise be frequently restarted within the time
delay period. IMO, time delayed shutdown is probably more appropriate
in a multi-user/commercial shop.

Tom Veatch
Wichita, KS
USA
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On Sun, 11 Nov 2007 12:19:25 -0600, Tom Veatch wrote:
a 2 HP
blower proved unsatisfactory. I am currently installing a 5HP blower
wheel in my cyclone.

Incidentally, if anyone has a need for a Sheldons Engineering 2HP
airfoil blower wheel, 7/8" arbor, CCW rotation (looking from the motor
side), I seem to have one surplus.

Tom Veatch
Wichita, KS
USA
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

wrote:

Greetings,

I am interested in a dust collection system, 2hp, for my shop.

What I want is when I turn a machine, there might be 12 machines, it turn on the dust collector and stays on 3 or so minutes after I
turn off that machine.

You really don't need 3 minutes to clear most single worker shop
ducts.

I simply use a Long Ranger remote, which goes for ~ $75. The remote
is clipped to the rear strap of my work apron. There are 220v and
120v versions.

Sometimes, I leave the DC running as I move from machine to machine,
manually flipping gates open and shut. If I have to stop and think
things out, I can just as easily shut it off. Other times, I can kick
the DC on, just to see if a cat is hiding behind it. G

120v Long Rangers are also very handy to turn HVLP turbines on and off
from a distance, when using long air hoses.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
Joe Joe is offline

120v Long Rangers are also very handy to turn HVLP turbines on and off
from a distance, when using long air hoses.

GOOD Idea! I'm going to remember that one. I don't think i'll go buy a
second one, but on spraying days, the existing one will come in handy.

jc