Posted to free.uk.diy.home,alt.home.repair
jw 1111

Default cupboard that won't stay shut

Hi, I have kitchen doors with those spring loaded adjustable type hinges.

One door will close O.K., but then springs open by about an inch and just
stays open. There are two 'adjustable' screws on these hinges. ( not
talking here about the screws that actually attach the hinge to the door and
to the cupboard frame).

Would someone kindly explain to a novice what is the procedure to adjust
these two 'adjustment' screws please, so the door stays fully shut.
many thanks.

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,alt.home.repair
PipeDown

That screw usually adjusts the X,Y position of the door when it is closed
(tilt or how close it meets the other door, i.e. the gap). It usually does
not adjust the amount of closure angle.

The hinge is either broken (bent spring from being forced open too far) or
it is mounted too far into the cabnet. Try loosing the screws you weren't
takling about.

"jw 1111" wrote in message
Hi, I have kitchen doors with those spring loaded adjustable type hinges.

One door will close O.K., but then springs open by about an inch and just
stays open. There are two 'adjustable' screws on these hinges. ( not
talking here about the screws that actually attach the hinge to the door
and to the cupboard frame).

Would someone kindly explain to a novice what is the procedure to adjust
these two 'adjustment' screws please, so the door stays fully shut. many
thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair
klaatu

On Mon, 13 Mar 2006 19:23:45 GMT, "jw 1111"
wrote:

Hi, I have kitchen doors with those spring loaded adjustable type hinges.

One door will close O.K., but then springs open by about an inch and just
stays open. There are two 'adjustable' screws on these hinges. ( not
talking here about the screws that actually attach the hinge to the door and
to the cupboard frame).

Would someone kindly explain to a novice what is the procedure to adjust
these two 'adjustment' screws please, so the door stays fully shut.
many thanks.

First I would make sure there is no wood to wood binding from door to
cabinet. Look for wear spots. Then see if the height adjustments for
the hinges are not binding - one is adjusted up and the other down
creating binding. Look fot a brand name and post.

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,alt.home.repair
Phil Anthropist

"jw 1111" wrote:
Hi, I have kitchen doors with those spring loaded adjustable type hinges.

One door will close O.K., but then springs open by about an inch and just
stays open. There are two 'adjustable' screws on these hinges. ( not
talking here about the screws that actually attach the hinge to the door
and to the cupboard frame).

Would someone kindly explain to a novice what is the procedure to adjust
these two 'adjustment' screws please, so the door stays fully shut. many
thanks.

For which screws do what, try
http://www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects/cupboarddoors.htm

You may also be able to work it out by comparing the differences in position
of the hinge and brackets on the ill-fitting door with the position of the
hinge and brackets on the doors that fit properly. If the hinges are
knackered you can buy standard replacements from B & Q. If that is necessary
take a hinge and bracket with you to see if you can get a good match.

--
For bargains and discounts try
http://www.freeinformationcentre.co.uk/html/bargains_in_the_uk.html

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,alt.home.repair
Tab

". Try loosing the screws you weren't
takling about.

I find this bit very funny.Thanks for giving me something to laugh about.

fitting a cupboard Neil UK diy 2 March 3rd 06 03:48 PM
Hitachi Ultravision Model 50UX26B Intermittent Power Shut Down Angela D'Andrea Electronics Repair 5 February 21st 06 02:31 PM
hinge for ikea corner wall cupboard [email protected] UK diy 2 June 3rd 05 08:44 PM
help- strange monitor warm up & shut down. mike Electronics Repair 1 January 11th 04 01:38 AM
Understairs Cupboard Remix! [email protected] UK diy 3 July 18th 03 04:48 PM