Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Default Hopping Kangaroo

These are popular at fairs here in Oz and I have been meaning to buy
one and try to make one for some years.

I finally did and with a few errors along the way and modifications I
got it to work.

They are usually made of cheap hardwood, this one I made from not so
cheap Queensland Maple.

Getting the balance right was a touch tricky and as a part of the
solution for this one I inset a couple of five cent pieces to add
weight to the tail.

http://mywebsite.bigpond.net.au/mercian/kangaroo.wmv

If anyone wants a plan and a few tips on making this toy just email me.
paul at palindrome dot com dot au

Mekon

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Oh and this link is to a movie showing it in operation.

http://mywebsite.bigpond.net.au/mercian/kangaroo.wmv

Mekon

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Default Hopping Kangaroo Plan

It seems there is some interest in the plan so here it is.

A couple of pointers to start with. The wood you choose can be anything
but I suspect that it will work best with a heavy hardwood.

For your first one I'd suggest making the tail an inch or so longer,
then if it is tail heavy you can trim it down.

You will need a couple of identical nails with the heads cut off.

Drill the hole in the body all the way through and make it slightly
larger than the nail you will use. The legs pivot here and so must be a
free fit.
The holes in the legs should be slightly smaller so that they will
grip. These don't need to go all the way through.

When it assembled make sure the bottom nail moves freely but is stopped
at either end by the two bumps on the roo's belly.

Also when the rear legs are extended fully forward the front legs
should protrude past the feet.

Experiment with the angle of the slope - it won't work if that isn't
right.

With this one the timber was a bit light, the roo just did a nose dive
and stayed there. I figured that this was due to it being a bit nose
heavy so I put a couple of five cent coins on the tail to weigh it
down. Once that was done it worked well.

Mekon

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

First off thanks much for the plans. This will be a fun project to build.
I have a couple of questions though.

When I printed the plans I"m not sure if in the process my software may have
adjusted the picture to fit on the page. Could you confirm the measurements
so I know when I have it printed correctly?

1) What is the tip of tail to tip of nose distance on your toy?

2) What thickness is the body and what thickness on the legs?

Thanks again for sharing.

"Mekon" wrote in message
. ..
These are popular at fairs here in Oz and I have been meaning to buy
one and try to make one for some years.

I finally did and with a few errors along the way and modifications I
got it to work.

They are usually made of cheap hardwood, this one I made from not so
cheap Queensland Maple.

Getting the balance right was a touch tricky and as a part of the
solution for this one I inset a couple of five cent pieces to add
weight to the tail.

http://mywebsite.bigpond.net.au/mercian/kangaroo.wmv

If anyone wants a plan and a few tips on making this toy just email me.
paul at palindrome dot com dot au

Mekon

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

In article , v wrote:
Oh and this link is to a movie showing it in operation.

http://mywebsite.bigpond.net.au/mercian/kangaroo.wmv

Mekon

That's AMAZING. Great work!! I see you've posted the plan -- many thanks.
I have a three-year-old niece who will be getting one of these for Christmas.

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

on 10/11/2007, jloomis supposed :
Hey Mekon, I would like a plan. I tried your e-mail and it did not work?
Thank You,
jloomis
"Mekon" wrote in message
. ..
These are popular at fairs here in Oz and I have been meaning to buy
one and try to make one for some years.

I finally did and with a few errors along the way and modifications I
got it to work.

They are usually made of cheap hardwood, this one I made from not so
cheap Queensland Maple.

Getting the balance right was a touch tricky and as a part of the
solution for this one I inset a couple of five cent pieces to add
weight to the tail.

http://mywebsite.bigpond.net.au/mercian/kangaroo.wmv

If anyone wants a plan and a few tips on making this toy just email me.
paul at palindrome dot com dot au

Mekon

If you look above in this thread you will see that I posted it here.

Mekon

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Jack Casuso formulated on Saturday :
Thanks for posting and the tips. Looks like a project that will be as much
fun to make as the kids will have playing with it.

Jack
"Mekon" wrote in message
. ..
on 10/11/2007, jloomis supposed :
Hey Mekon, I would like a plan. I tried your e-mail and it did not work?
Thank You,
jloomis
"Mekon" wrote in message
. ..
These are popular at fairs here in Oz and I have been meaning to buy
one and try to make one for some years.

I finally did and with a few errors along the way and modifications I
got it to work.

They are usually made of cheap hardwood, this one I made from not so
cheap Queensland Maple.

Getting the balance right was a touch tricky and as a part of the
solution for this one I inset a couple of five cent pieces to add
weight to the tail.

http://mywebsite.bigpond.net.au/mercian/kangaroo.wmv

If anyone wants a plan and a few tips on making this toy just email me.
paul at palindrome dot com dot au

Mekon

If you look above in this thread you will see that I posted it here.

Mekon

It is fun to do, it can be a bit fiddly figuring out why it won't hop
but, if it was easy - what would be the point?

Mekon

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On Fri, 09 Nov 2007 04:09:40 GMT, Mekon
wrote:

Oh and this link is to a movie showing it in operation.

http://mywebsite.bigpond.net.au/mercian/kangaroo.wmv

Mekon

That is a neat looking toy. How many hops can you get on one push?

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Ray used his keyboard to write :
wrote:

Oh and this link is to a movie showing it in operation.

http://mywebsite.bigpond.net.au/mercian/kangaroo.wmv

Mekon

That is a neat looking toy. How many hops can you get on one push?

You don't push it. It 'hops' down an incline. The longer the incline,
the more hops.

Mekon

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Mekon wrote:

These are popular at fairs here in Oz and I have been meaning to buy
one and try to make one for some years.

I finally did and with a few errors along the way and modifications I
got it to work.

They are usually made of cheap hardwood, this one I made from not so
cheap Queensland Maple.

Getting the balance right was a touch tricky and as a part of the
solution for this one I inset a couple of five cent pieces to add
weight to the tail.

http://mywebsite.bigpond.net.au/mercian/kangaroo.wmv

If anyone wants a plan and a few tips on making this toy just email me.
paul at palindrome dot com dot au

Mekon

===
Mekon,
Would you be so kind and send me a copy of the plans and tips. Many thanks
in advance.

Ray
===