Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Brian Lawson

Default long lathe stock is hopping,..

On Wed, 23 Nov 2005 09:01:13 GMT, dogbite
wrote:

Hi, I am using a handsome Atlas Pick-o-Matic lathe for the first time.
I'm working from the 57th edition of "How to run a Lathe".
In turning a full length piece of 1"x1" hardwood it wants to "climb"
or hop up the cutter toward the middle of the piece. It turns
fabulously for the first foot, then starts to wobble, then hops, then
wobbles and the last foot where it's supported by the tailstock is ok
but not great. I tried the Left to Right bit and the Finishing bit
(bit better). I 45'ed the corners on a table saw and rounded them with
a hand rasp before I chucked it. Any tips? (It's going to be a dog
crusher cane). I have to move the cutter below the centerline and
angle it differently? I tried a wood lathe but it was impossible.
Thank you for your time.

Hey Dog,

Definitely, DO NOT allow the tool-bit tip to be BELOW the centre-line.
That will make the situation worse. But be sure that you have enough
relief that the tool-bit is not in contact with the material below the
tool-tip either.

Try using a tool sharpened such that it approaches the END of the wood
so as to cut a "groove", kinda like a "V" as it cuts. This helps to
apply a force equal in both plus and minus "X" (axis "across" the
lathe bed). sounds like what you are doing now is attempting to cut
such that all the force is applied one-way against the wood, and it
will definitely whip and jump. Make sure you have a really SHARP
tool, with lots of rake (think how a plane cuts wood), and at a fair
RPM. This will NOT be a tool-bit sharpened as used for metals.

And of course, if you have access to a traveling steady rest, that
will really help.

Sometimes helps to START in the middle, with light cuts, and work
maybe 1/4 the way to each end first.

And of course, a proper set of wood-turning tools is always a help. I
have a little rest gadget I made that goes in the cross slide after
the compound is removed, and I use the proper hand-held wood-turning
lathe tools.

Take care.

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario.

Some basic metal lathe questions Grant Erwin Metalworking 5 July 19th 05 10:18 AM
Silent thermostat Dave Gibson UK diy 13 January 5th 04 12:02 PM
Facing rectangular stock in a lathe Greg Menke Metalworking 17 December 15th 03 03:36 AM
Gingery Lathe casting stock.. Joe Metalworking 2 November 22nd 03 03:34 AM
Dead Man's Tools Tom Watson Woodworking 35 July 20th 03 03:59 PM