Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Default Splitting a hair (large pic) - splithair.jpg (0/1)

This is a standard japanese chisel lapped on an 8000 grit waterstone.
I don't have a nagura stone but I have found you can work up a great
slurry with a diamond plate. The pic was taken with the macro setting
of my digital camera. The hair was donated by a Rottweiler who made it
clear he'd prefer I don't rip hairs from his hide while he sleeps. I
just dragged the hair across the edge at a steep angle until it
caught.

I still prefer my Pfeil and Marples chisels for routine work, and I
usually just touch them up on a buffer with a little red jewler's
rouge rather than using waterstones. Buffing works great on plane
blades too. The Japanese chisel was sharpened with waterstones, no
buffing. The only real complaint I have with the japanese chisels is
that they are a little more delicate than chisels made from
homogeneous steel.

Has anyone noticed that the quality of American tool steel made early
in twentieth century seems to be as good as A2? I have several old
Buck chisels and a bunch of old stanley plane irons that hold as hold
an edge as my new Veritas A2 Irons and are just as tough.

--
-linux_lad
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"-linux_lad" wrote in message
This is a standard japanese chisel lapped on an 8000 grit waterstone.
I don't have a nagura stone but I have found you can work up a great
slurry with a diamond plate. The pic was taken with the macro setting
of my digital camera. The hair was donated by a Rottweiler who made it
clear he'd prefer I don't rip hairs from his hide while he sleeps. I
just dragged the hair across the edge at a steep angle until it
caught.

I still prefer my Pfeil and Marples chisels for routine work, and I
usually just touch them up on a buffer with a little red jewler's
rouge rather than using waterstones. Buffing works great on plane
blades too.

*Just curious, how contentious are you about keeping the edges square? What
type of buffing wheel are you using?

The Japanese chisel was sharpened with waterstones, no
buffing. The only real complaint I have with the japanese chisels is
that they are a little more delicate than chisels made from
homogeneous steel.

Has anyone noticed that the quality of American tool steel made early
in twentieth century seems to be as good as A2? I have several old
Buck chisels and a bunch of old stanley plane irons that hold as hold
an edge as my new Veritas A2 Irons and are just as tough.

*Laughing* I've noticed that the cheap chinky china stuff that I'm using is
pretty much junk, but it's better than nothing.
One of these days I may get to find out what's like to have some GOOD
carving tools.

Kate