Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Default Flag case questions

I want to build a flag case for my father-in-law's flag from his funeral
service. He was a signalman on a Landing Craft Infantry Large (LCI-L) on
Omaha beach on D-Day. His ship ended up beached for a while and during that
time he went on the beach and took up a rifle position until the tides
changed and they could refloat back off the beach. He passed away this
week. I feel almost overwhelmed to even begin to build a case that will do
justice to this flag that he so honorably earned. I wanted to make sure I
got enough input that I don't mess this up. I have a few things that I've
thought of that probably should be considered and wanted input. I
especially want input on the things that I've overlooked to make sure I do
it right.

1) Since this will be material (cloth) stored inside the case I'm concerned
about whether finishes will end up leaching onto the cloth either directly
or vapors that would discolor the flag. If using a finish are there certain
ones that would be safe?

2) What about the choice of woods? Will certain woods interact with the
cloth even if they are finished? For example what about using cedar without
a finish versus using for example oak with a finish. In my area I can
fairly easily obtain pine, oak, birch and cedar woods but anything else
would probably have to be ordered from someplace.

3) I like the look of something like oak but stained and finished. So I'm
wondering about doing stain and finish everywhere except the interior of the
case. What about lining the interior with a felt or something so that the
flag does not touch wood or finish and there is no finish within the
interior to leach vapors? The inside would still look nice with the felt
finish. However that does raise the question of how to attach the felt.
Again would a glue leach vapors?

Some early thoughts and questions. I would be grateful also for other
things that I've overlooked.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
Han Han is offline

"Warren and Paula Jo" wrote in
:

I want to build a flag case for my father-in-law's flag from his
funeral service. He was a signalman on a Landing Craft Infantry Large
(LCI-L) on Omaha beach on D-Day.

My condolences to Paula!

Also, belatedly but no less heartfelt, I want to express my personal
gratitude for her father's heroic efforts, and the efforts of all of those
who assisted directly or indirectly in the liberation of Europe. My
appreciation grows in part from the fact that I was born in Holland in the
fall of 1944, and later grew up about 10 miles from Arnhem ("Market
Garden").

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On Sat, 20 Oct 2007 12:01:19 -0600, "Warren and Paula Jo"
wrote:

I want to build a flag case for my father-in-law's flag from his funeral
service. He was a signalman on a Landing Craft Infantry Large (LCI-L) on
Omaha beach on D-Day. His ship ended up beached for a while and during that
time he went on the beach and took up a rifle position until the tides
changed and they could refloat back off the beach. He passed away this
week. I feel almost overwhelmed to even begin to build a case that will do
justice to this flag that he so honorably earned.

What a worthy project!

1) Since this will be material (cloth) stored inside the case I'm concerned
about whether finishes will end up leaching onto the cloth either directly
or vapors that would discolor the flag. If using a finish are there certain
ones that would be safe?

Clear shellac, 'nuff said!

2) What about the choice of woods? Will certain woods interact with the
cloth even if they are finished? For example what about using cedar without
a finish versus using for example oak with a finish. In my area I can
fairly easily obtain pine, oak, birch and cedar woods but anything else
would probably have to be ordered from someplace.

Apply clear shellac to the inside and don't worry. Pick a wood for
the look you desire.

3) I like the look of something like oak but stained and finished. So I'm
wondering about doing stain and finish everywhere except the interior of the
case. What about lining the interior with a felt or something so that the
flag does not touch wood or finish and there is no finish within the
interior to leach vapors? The inside would still look nice with the felt
finish. However that does raise the question of how to attach the felt.
Again would a glue leach vapors?

Not if sealed with shellac. Seeing a pattern yet? G The felt
lining would look nice, shellac under the felt would seal the wood.
Contact cement will easily mount felt to a sealed wood surface, any
vapors should be gone in a day or so.

As for the shellac, pick up a quart of Zinnser Seal Coat or spray cans
of Zinnser Clear Shellac at any decent paint store. Play with it on
scrap, as it handles slightly differently than some other finishes.
Shellac is thinned and cleaned up with denatured alcohol, also from
the paint store. Shellac will re-dissolve if subject to alcohol, so
work quickly and don't over brush if you don't use spray cans.

Some early thoughts and questions. I would be grateful also for other
things that I've overlooked.

If you google "flag case" there are LOTS of photos available for
ideas.
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

My condolences.

Try this pdf attachment.

"Warren and Paula Jo" wrote in message
[...]

News==----
Newsgroups
=----

Attached Files
File Type: pdf Flag_Instructions_WUFA.pdf (73.8 KB, 70 views)
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Warren and Paula Jo" wrote in message
I want to build a flag case for my father-in-law's flag from his funeral
service.

///snipped for brevity///
Very definitely a worthwhile project! My suggestion is to contact the
conservator at a nearby museum. He will be able to steer you toward archival
quality materials and advise you on the best way and location in which to
display the flag with the least amount of deterioration possible.

DaveD

FLAG CASE J T Woodworking 0 September 26th 07 06:06 PM
FLAG DISPLAY CASE J T Woodworking 0 September 16th 06 07:03 AM
INSPIRATION - Flag-Medal Case J T Woodworking 6 December 23rd 05 05:55 PM
INSPIRATION - Medal/Flag Case J T Woodworking 0 November 9th 05 04:29 AM
Question on flag display case PC Gameplayer Woodworking 15 November 29th 03 05:35 AM