Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
B a r r y B a r r y is offline

Default Flag case questions

On Sat, 20 Oct 2007 12:01:19 -0600, "Warren and Paula Jo"
wrote:

I want to build a flag case for my father-in-law's flag from his funeral
service. He was a signalman on a Landing Craft Infantry Large (LCI-L) on
Omaha beach on D-Day. His ship ended up beached for a while and during that
time he went on the beach and took up a rifle position until the tides
changed and they could refloat back off the beach. He passed away this
week. I feel almost overwhelmed to even begin to build a case that will do
justice to this flag that he so honorably earned.

What a worthy project!

1) Since this will be material (cloth) stored inside the case I'm concerned
about whether finishes will end up leaching onto the cloth either directly
or vapors that would discolor the flag. If using a finish are there certain
ones that would be safe?

Clear shellac, 'nuff said!

2) What about the choice of woods? Will certain woods interact with the
cloth even if they are finished? For example what about using cedar without
a finish versus using for example oak with a finish. In my area I can
fairly easily obtain pine, oak, birch and cedar woods but anything else
would probably have to be ordered from someplace.

Apply clear shellac to the inside and don't worry. Pick a wood for
the look you desire.

3) I like the look of something like oak but stained and finished. So I'm
wondering about doing stain and finish everywhere except the interior of the
case. What about lining the interior with a felt or something so that the
flag does not touch wood or finish and there is no finish within the
interior to leach vapors? The inside would still look nice with the felt
finish. However that does raise the question of how to attach the felt.
Again would a glue leach vapors?

Not if sealed with shellac. Seeing a pattern yet? G The felt
lining would look nice, shellac under the felt would seal the wood.
Contact cement will easily mount felt to a sealed wood surface, any
vapors should be gone in a day or so.

As for the shellac, pick up a quart of Zinnser Seal Coat or spray cans
of Zinnser Clear Shellac at any decent paint store. Play with it on
scrap, as it handles slightly differently than some other finishes.
Shellac is thinned and cleaned up with denatured alcohol, also from
the paint store. Shellac will re-dissolve if subject to alcohol, so
work quickly and don't over brush if you don't use spray cans.

Some early thoughts and questions. I would be grateful also for other
things that I've overlooked.

If you google "flag case" there are LOTS of photos available for
ideas.