Posted to rec.woodworking
J T

Default INSPIRATION - Flag-Medal Case

http://www.cwoodshop.com/images/case2.jpg

Seems easier to make, and more useful, than the usual flag case.

JOAT
You'll never get anywhere if you believe what you "hear". What do you
"know"?.
- Granny Weatherwax

Posted to rec.woodworking
rich

I was planning on making one of these for my son, and figured I could
do a better job than the one for sale at the Exchange. But has anyone
seen any plans for the traditional flag/medal case???

Thanks for any suggestions.

Rich.....

Posted to rec.woodworking
J T

Wed, Dec 21, 2005, 2:37pm (EST-3) (rich) doth
query:
snip But has anyone seen any plans for the traditional flag/medal
case??? snip

Chure. I've posted several. Check the archives.
http://groups.google.com/advanced_gr...g&lr =&num=30

JOAT
You'll never get anywhere if you believe what you "hear". What do you
"know"?.
- Granny Weatherwax

Posted to rec.woodworking
Jim Stuyck

"rich" wrote in message
oups.com...
I was planning on making one of these for my son, and figured I could
do a better job than the one for sale at the Exchange. But has anyone
seen any plans for the traditional flag/medal case???

Thanks for any suggestions.

I just made one of each: A flag case and a military decorations
case. Actually, I made three flag cases, one "traditional burial
size" the other two for 3x5 flags that flew over my son in law's
camp outside Fallujah which he sent to his children during his
deployment.

After looking at several, I just made my own to suit my tastes.
A more-or-less "standard" size for decorations is 16"x20" with
at least 3/4" between glass and backing. I'm experimenting
with using felt (army green) for the back and adhesive-backed
velcro for the decorations. Haven't tried it yet (for my son in
law, for Christmas).

For the burial flag, a right triangle with inside dimensions of the
equal legs about 15 1/2" and about 3" between glass and backing.
My flag cases had a base wider than the sides so that it could
be wall-hung or sit on a shelf.

Edges of everything were routed "to suit my tastes."

The most expensive part, by the way, is TEMPERED glass.
I made everything so that the glass could be replaced, if
necessary (and so the flags could be taken out of the cases),
but tempering adds considerably to the cost. Walnut ran
only $3 a board foot, 4/4, rough, and absolutely clear.

Jim Stuyck

Posted to rec.woodworking
Sheckster

I'd like to do something similiar but make end tables that display these
things under glass instead of wall mounted frames.

Any suggestions for plans?

Thx

"J T" wrote in message
http://www.cwoodshop.com/images/case2.jpg

Seems easier to make, and more useful, than the usual flag case.

JOAT
You'll never get anywhere if you believe what you "hear". What do you
"know"?.
- Granny Weatherwax

Posted to rec.woodworking
WConner

But has anyone seen any plans for the traditional flag/medal case???

I had a request to make one that also displayed the cartridges which were
used in the Salute at burial! I thought that was rather unusual but guess it
worked out OK.

Walt Conner

INSPIRATION - Router Bit Case J T Woodworking 6 December 9th 05 03:16 PM
INSPIRATION - Medal/Flag Case J T Woodworking 0 November 9th 05 04:29 AM
HD foam for laptop case? T i m UK diy 42 April 23rd 04 02:59 PM
Question on flag display case PC Gameplayer Woodworking 15 November 29th 03 05:35 AM
INSPIRATION - WATCH DISPLAY CASE T. Woodworking 0 October 21st 03 05:52 PM