Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Default Request: Source for Old Hinges

I am refurbishing an old chest for my granddaughter and need to
replace the hinges. Here are a couple of pictures of what I need. I
have visited both Lowes and The Home Depot, but they do not carry
anything like the ones I need, not even their special order catalogs.
I did a Google search, but to not avail. If anyone has a source for
old hardware, please let me know.

Many thanks in advance,

Ray
Austin, TX
===

Attached Thumbnails
Request:  Source for Old Hinges-dsc00121-jpg  Request:  Source for Old Hinges-dsc00119-jpg
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Ray S. & Nayda Katzaman wrote:
I am refurbishing an old chest for my granddaughter and need to
replace the hinges. Here are a couple of pictures of what I need. I
have visited both Lowes and The Home Depot, but they do not carry
anything like the ones I need, not even their special order catalogs.
I did a Google search, but to not avail. If anyone has a source for
old hardware, please let me know.

Many thanks in advance,

Ray
Austin, TX
===

You might try http://www.vandykes.com/

Dave
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

David Bridgeman wrote in
:

You might try http://www.vandykes.com/

You beat me to that one, Dave. You might also try Rockler
(www.rockler.com), Woodcraft (www.woodcraft.com), Horton Brasses
(http://www.horton-brasses.com), Harware Source (www.hardwaresource.com)
and many more. Do a google search for brass hinges.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

In article ,
Smaug Ichorfang wrote:

David Bridgeman wrote in
:

You might try http://www.vandykes.com/

You beat me to that one, Dave. You might also try Rockler
(www.rockler.com), Woodcraft (www.woodcraft.com), Horton Brasses

(http://www.horton-brasses.com), Harware Source (www.hardwaresource.com)
and many more. Do a google search for brass hinges.

Settler's Hardware in Houston might have something you need. They don't
have a website, unfortunately.
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

One thing I forgot - you may need to antique or pickle the hinges if you
can't find them that way from the mfgr. If you fine the correct design and
don't like the "shiney new", post back, I've got several formulas for
coloring brass.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Smaug Ichorfang wrote:
David Bridgeman wrote in
:

You might try http://www.vandykes.com/

You beat me to that one, Dave. You might also try Rockler
(www.rockler.com), Woodcraft (www.woodcraft.com), Horton Brasses
(http://www.horton-brasses.com), Harware Source (www.hardwaresource.com)
and many more. Do a google search for brass hinges.

"Ball & Ball Hardware Reproductions" might be another place to try.

http://www.ballandball-us.com/

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Ray S. & Nayda Katzaman" wrote in
:

I am refurbishing an old chest for my granddaughter and need to
replace the hinges. Here are a couple of pictures of what I need. I
have visited both Lowes and The Home Depot, but they do not carry
anything like the ones I need, not even their special order catalogs.
I did a Google search, but to not avail. If anyone has a source for
old hardware, please let me know.

Many thanks in advance,

Ray
Austin, TX
===

Ray,

I have to ask, what is wrong with the hinges on the piece?

From your pictures they appear to be solid brass and in good condition.
If they are solid brass, all you have to do is buff out the surface and
you will have hinges that look brand new.

JR

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Hi Ray,
You might check with these folks
http://www.antiquehardware.com/product/02264259/

Hope it helps

Kate

"Ray S. & Nayda Katzaman" wrote in message
I am refurbishing an old chest for my granddaughter and need to
replace the hinges. Here are a couple of pictures of what I need. I
have visited both Lowes and The Home Depot, but they do not carry
anything like the ones I need, not even their special order catalogs.
I did a Google search, but to not avail. If anyone has a source for
old hardware, please let me know.

Many thanks in advance,

Ray
Austin, TX
===

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On Fri, 19 Oct 2007 15:08:19 -0500, "Ray S. & Nayda Katzaman"
wrote:

I am refurbishing an old chest for my granddaughter and need to
replace the hinges. Here are a couple of pictures of what I need. I
have visited both Lowes and The Home Depot, but they do not carry
anything like the ones I need, not even their special order catalogs.

http://www.horton-brasses.com/

These guys are local to me and offer outstanding quality American
made, furniture hardware.

If you can't find it on the site, email the specs to them.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Ray S. & Nayda Katzaman" wrote in message
I am refurbishing an old chest for my granddaughter and need to
replace the hinges. Here are a couple of pictures of what I need. I
have visited both Lowes and The Home Depot, but they do not carry
anything like the ones I need, not even their special order catalogs.
I did a Google search, but to not avail. If anyone has a source for
old hardware, please let me know.

Many thanks in advance,

Ray
Austin, TX
===

It seems unlikely you will findthe exact match. Thats the bad news, the good
news is with a sheet of brass, a file ,scraper and hacksaw it is not that
difficult to make your own using the originals as patterns .......mjh

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Default Request: Source for Old Hinges -THANKS

"Ray S. & Nayda Katzaman" wrote:

I am refurbishing an old chest for my granddaughter and need to
replace the hinges. Here are a couple of pictures of what I need. I
have visited both Lowes and The Home Depot, but they do not carry
anything like the ones I need, not even their special order catalogs.
I did a Google search, but to not avail. If anyone has a source for
old hardware, please let me know.

Many thanks in advance,

Ray
Austin, TX
===

===
Many thanks for the info.

Ray
===

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

I'm in the UK, however, these guys are brilliant in terms of stock, choice and readiness to export to the UK.

http://www.ballandball-us.com/