Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Default Speaking of coupons (minor gloat?)

This one concerns Woodcraft who locally here in Houston had 10% off
everything in the store this past Saturday with but a couple of exceptions
and those weren't even power tools (in general).
So, I went in looking for an aftermarket base plate for my old Bosch
1604 that would take the Porter Cable bushing guides. Him-hawed around and
him-hawed around and ended up walking out with a new Triton 2.25 HP router!
The 10% off applied and along with another [scratch'n'save promotion] 5%
ended up almost $33 under the $210 (plus 8.25 sales tax).
I 'm trying to make time to try it out.
--
NuWave Dave in Houston

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

I think it would have been a gloat, but you walked out with the wrong router
IMHO!

Here is a good review of yours:
http://www.onlinetoolreviews.com/rev...tonrouter2.htm

I would have gone with a PC plunge router!

"Dave in Houston" wrote in message
This one concerns Woodcraft who locally here in Houston had 10% off
everything in the store this past Saturday with but a couple of exceptions
and those weren't even power tools (in general).
So, I went in looking for an aftermarket base plate for my old Bosch
1604 that would take the Porter Cable bushing guides. Him-hawed around
and him-hawed around and ended up walking out with a new Triton 2.25 HP
router! The 10% off applied and along with another [scratch'n'save
promotion] 5% ended up almost $33 under the $210 (plus 8.25 sales tax).
I 'm trying to make time to try it out.
--
NuWave Dave in Houston

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"GarageWoodworks" .@. wrote in message
I think it would have been a gloat, but you walked out with the wrong
router IMHO!

Here is a good review of yours:
http://www.onlinetoolreviews.com/rev...tonrouter2.htm

I would have gone with a PC plunge router!

I've developed a healthy aversion to Porter-Cable products since I got
suckered into springing for the original cordless finish nailer- The BAMMER!
What an unequivical POS and absolute waste of $300 (IIRC).

And now that you've wounded my pride (Oh, death! Where is thy sting?),
just what is it about the PC that makes you pick it over the Triton (or your
next runner-up)? Does the PC have a 12-foot power cord? I haven't even
plugged it in yet so I can return it.

The On-line Tool Review to which you refer concludes thusly:
Conclusion:
As I stated in the review, just about every feature of the new MOF001KC is
an upgrade from the previous model. Size, weight and the ergonomics of the
controls feel good. Dust collection is outstanding. The above table bit
change and height adjustments work great as do the adjustments when using
the router hand held. The included baseplate, fence and guide bushings just
add to the value. I'd really like to see the power cord lengthened to about
12 feet and the soft start electronics tweaked to reduce the startup torque.
All and all the Triton MOF001KC seems to be a well thought out next
generation of the original innovative Triton design and should serve you
well as both a hand held and table mounted router.

-

NuWave Dave in Houston

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Dave in Houston" wrote in message

"GarageWoodworks" .@. wrote in message
I think it would have been a gloat, but you walked out with the wrong
router IMHO!

Here is a good review of yours:
http://www.onlinetoolreviews.com/rev...tonrouter2.htm

I would have gone with a PC plunge router!

I've developed a healthy aversion to Porter-Cable products since I got
suckered into springing for the original cordless finish nailer- The
BAMMER! What an unequivical POS and absolute waste of $300 (IIRC).

Dave, the Bammer was indeed a stinker however you should not associate the
other PC tools to the Bammer for an accurate compairison of quality.
The "recent years " PC routers have earned a lack luster reputation all by
them selves and most PC tools are not what they used to be 20 years ago.

[...]

I have had the bigger Triton router hanging upside down for about 2 or 4
years now and if the reliability is still the same you have nothing to worry
about. Mine retired a Bosch that had been hanging since 1988. I did not go
blindly when choosing a replacement for a still working Bosch. I wanted a
router that could be easily adjusted accurately and have above the table
bit changes.
The Triton has become a very popular brand router these days.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in message
news
I have had the bigger Triton router hanging upside down for about 2 or 4
years now and if the reliability is still the same you have nothing to
worry about. Mine retired a Bosch that had been hanging since 1988. I
did not go blindly when choosing a replacement for a still working Bosch.
I wanted a router that could be easily adjusted accurately and have above
the table bit changes.
The Triton has become a very popular brand router these days.

Likewise, the old Bosch 1604 still goes round and round. It just won't
take the PC guide bushings which I require to use with [sound of clearing
throat] my PC dovetail jig (4216 which is the 4212 with an additional
template).
The 1604 will now become my fulltime jobsite router not that I use one
on the jobsite that often. Unless, of course, the situation calls for a
plunge in which case the Triton packages very neatly into it's case.
I looked and came close to springing for the 1617EVS package while I was
at Rockler's on Saturday. But, I realized that it, too, won't accept the PC
guide bushings. I may yet try Circle Jerk, er-r-r-r, Circle Saw to see if
they have an adaptor for the 1604 base plate. It would be a small
investment and expand the capabilities of the 1604. Come to think of it,
that's what I started out to acquire when I left the house Saturday! Doh!
Then again, Circle Saw isn't open on Saturdays. But, you knew that.
--
NuWave Dave in Houston

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Dave in Houston wrote:
I looked and came close to springing for the 1617EVS package while I was
at Rockler's on Saturday. But, I realized that it, too, won't accept the PC
guide bushings.

It will with an aftermarket baseplate.

Although you can make one, Pat Warner sells nice plates at very
reasonable prices.

patwarner.com
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Take a look at Leigjigs.com . Leigh sells all kinds of adapters to accept
PC style guide bushings. I bought the adapter for my 1617evs from Leigh to
use the Leigh/PC style guide bushings.

If you call them they will tell you exactly what you need.

"Dave in Houston" wrote in message

news

Minor Gloat Steve B Home Repair 1 March 20th 07 01:28 AM
Minor gloat J. Clarke Woodworking 1 December 20th 06 02:23 PM
Minor gloat B.B. Metalworking 2 November 14th 05 04:28 PM
very minor gloat. Badger Woodworking 0 March 9th 05 11:04 PM
Minor gloat Jon Shelley Woodworking 4 February 23rd 05 11:41 PM