Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Default Deck railings

Anyone have some interesting suggestions for a deck railing? I want to make
something that is away from the ordinary P/T 2x2 balusters that everyone
slaps together these days. Some pictures would be great.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Wayne" wrote in message
Anyone have some interesting suggestions for a deck railing? I want to
make something that is away from the ordinary P/T 2x2 balusters that
everyone slaps together these days. Some pictures would be great.

I will try to describe some I've done I will guess your rail supports a
4X4 . Put a top rail 2X4 on top of the post Then put a 2X4 runner between
the post about 3" up from the bottom. You want about 3" of clearance from
the top of the deck. So now you have rectangular frame to work with. Put a
2X2 baluster vertical dead center of the rectangle. On the next set of
Balusters ( right and left of center one) put the bottom tight against the
bottom of the center baluster space the top out about 6" continue this until
the rectangular is full What this dose is give you a fan or wagon wheel
effect. The trick to make this look good is to be able to space your 4X4
rail post evenly. You have to almost lay out the fan out and post spacing to
see what works best. When it's done put a 2X6 cap on top. It will even look
better if you can use 1X1 pickets. I built the fans on a bench ( prefab)
then installed them .I also trimmed out the rectangles to hide the cuts. I
don't have any pictures to post of railings I did.
http://chesterfieldfence.com/Fan%20Rail%20Inside2.jpg I found this (
loads slow ) This gives you the idea but I would use a little wider spacing
on the fan not the way I would frame it but you get the idea.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Here's what I did on my deck. 4x4 posts, 2x6 cap rail, and
3/4" copper water pipe pickets. If you're interested I can post
more details.
Art

"Wayne" wrote in message ...
Anyone have some interesting suggestions for a deck railing? I want to make
something that is away from the ordinary P/T 2x2 balusters that everyone
slaps together these days. Some pictures would be great.

Attached Thumbnails
Deck railings-pict0001a-jpg  Deck railings-pict0005a-jpg
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Wayne" wrote in message ...
Anyone have some interesting suggestions for a deck railing? I want to make
something that is away from the ordinary P/T 2x2 balusters that everyone
slaps together these days. Some pictures would be great.

It looks like the pipes were leaking, based on the icycles
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"WoodButcher" wrote in
:

"Wayne" wrote in message
Anyone have some interesting suggestions for a deck railing? I want
to make something that is away from the ordinary P/T 2x2 balusters
that everyone slaps together these days. Some pictures would be
great.

I'm thinking you're using too much varnish dude.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Those copper pipes look nice but don't think its a good idea with today's
copper prices. Apt to come home some day and find out your railing is gone.

"BlueFrog" wrote in message
"WoodButcher" wrote in
:

"Wayne" wrote in message
Anyone have some interesting suggestions for a deck railing? I want
to make something that is away from the ordinary P/T 2x2 balusters
that everyone slaps together these days. Some pictures would be
great.

I'm thinking you're using too much varnish dude.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Besides polishing the dam things has to be a pain in the ass.....mjh

"bitternut" wrote in message
Those copper pipes look nice but don't think its a good idea with today's
copper prices. Apt to come home some day and find out your railing is
gone.

"BlueFrog" wrote in message
"WoodButcher" wrote in
:

"Wayne" wrote in message
Anyone have some interesting suggestions for a deck railing? I want
to make something that is away from the ordinary P/T 2x2 balusters
that everyone slaps together these days. Some pictures would be
great.

I'm thinking you're using too much varnish dude.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

WoodButcher wrote:

| Here's what I did on my deck.

Gesundheit!

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

I never clean nor polish the copper. It just aged to it's natural
patina.
Art

"mike hide" wrote ...
Besides polishing the dam things has to be a pain in the ass.....mjh

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Those pics were taken in February when the deck has a serious coating
of mud, mildew, and whatnot. Oregon winters are not kind to decks,
sidewalks, and driveways. Every spring I powerwash, chemically clean,
and do a new application of Penofin. No varnish.
Art

"BlueFrog" wrote in message
I'm thinking you're using too much varnish dude.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Damn! I didn't license those i-Cycles from Apple and now I went
and posted the pics on the net.
Do I have to worry that Apple's attorneys will be after me now?
Art

"David Bridgeman" wrote in message

It looks like the pipes were leaking, based on the icycles

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Nice one! I didn't think of the snot-cicle angle.
Art

"Morris Dovey" wrote in message
WoodButcher wrote:

| Here's what I did on my deck.

Gesundheit!

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

WoodButcher wrote:
| "Morris Dovey" wrote in message
|| WoodButcher wrote:
||| Here's what I did on my deck.
|| Gesundheit!
|
| Nice one! I didn't think of the snot-cicle angle.

Under the - er, decorations - it's a beautiful deck with a most
attractive (and unobtrusive) railing design. N(ice)ly done!

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Thank you. The design objective was to be [somewhat] traditional,
legal, and have a minimal obstruction to the view.

WoodButcher wrote:
| "Morris Dovey" wrote in message
|| WoodButcher wrote:
||| Here's what I did on my deck.
|| Gesundheit!
|
| Nice one! I didn't think of the snot-cicle angle.

Under the - er, decorations - it's a beautiful deck with a most
attractive (and unobtrusive) railing design. N(ice)ly done!

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
DeSoto, Iowa USA
http://www.iedu.com/DeSoto/

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

I recently did some railings of my own and used a product from
http://www.deckorators.com/ for the balisters. I got the "Classic" in
powder coated black in the 3/4" x 36" length. They come 10 to a box at
approximately $26.95 to a box. For other applications, they also come in
24" and 32" lengths, as well as other colors. They also sell easily used
brackets for atttaching your rails to your posts. I seem to remember I used
a spacing distance of 3 3/4" on center for the balisters.

My posts are 4 x 4 cedar and the rails are 1 1/2" x 4" cypress. I treated
the cypress with cedar toned Penofin exterior oil finish, but I've also used
Behr Cedar Waterproofing Wood Finish from Home Depot. I suspect the Behr is
a bit better for preventing mildew in the cypress. There is a supplemental
filler attached to the bottom of the lower rail. I used this to get about
2" greater height on the railings and keep my minimum 3" space at the
bottom.

For the gate, I used a large mortise and tenon and some left over 24"
balisters from another job. Being unable to find any latching hardware that
wasn't primitive and borderline inoperative, I simply used a doorknob set
with the handle design shown in the second photo. It works well and I just
give it a shot of lube now and then.

The strange beveled boards you see attached to the posts are the result of
my cats finding the posts to be great scratching sites for maintaining their
claws. I just attached some cedar fencing material and let them shred that
instead of my posts. We're also extremely happy they prefer that to our
furniture inside the house.

I hope this helps,

Wade

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"John Smith" wrote in message
t...
I recently did some railings of my own and used a product from
http://www.deckorators.com/ for the balisters. I got the "Classic" in
powder coated black in the 3/4" x 36" length. They come 10 to a box at
approximately $26.95 to a box. For other applications, they also come in
24" and 32" lengths, as well as other colors. They also sell easily used
brackets for atttaching your rails to your posts. I seem to remember I
used a spacing distance of 3 3/4" on center for the balisters.

My first impression was nice, but a bit pricey. Then I did the calculations
and a 2 x 2 x 36 piece of wood is a board foot and that can be very pricey
also in cypress or cedar or mahogany. They re worth considering. Look very
good in your application.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Wayne" wrote in
:

Anyone have some interesting suggestions for a deck railing? I want
to make something that is away from the ordinary P/T 2x2 balusters
that everyone slaps together these days. Some pictures would be
great.

No pics right now, but....
I wanted something different too.
I opted to use a 4 foot high open picket fence as a railing.
I think it looks good and it keeps the grankids from leaning/climbing on it
too.
I'll try to get some pics if you are interested .
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

WoodButcher wrote:

| Here's what I did on my deck.

Gesundheit!

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

ROFLMAO!

Kate

Proper Angle For Stair Railings On My Deck Amy L. Woodworking 15 June 10th 14 12:28 AM
Railings Feldaspar Home Repair 6 March 23rd 07 06:47 PM
deck railings cj Home Repair 2 June 20th 06 05:15 AM
deck railings cj Home Repair 2 April 26th 06 01:39 PM
Are all composite deck railings flimsy? Dave K. Home Repair 6 March 25th 04 06:05 PM