Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
Sacramento Dave Sacramento Dave is offline

Default Deck railings

"Wayne" wrote in message
Anyone have some interesting suggestions for a deck railing? I want to
make something that is away from the ordinary P/T 2x2 balusters that
everyone slaps together these days. Some pictures would be great.

I will try to describe some I've done I will guess your rail supports a
4X4 . Put a top rail 2X4 on top of the post Then put a 2X4 runner between
the post about 3" up from the bottom. You want about 3" of clearance from
the top of the deck. So now you have rectangular frame to work with. Put a
2X2 baluster vertical dead center of the rectangle. On the next set of
Balusters ( right and left of center one) put the bottom tight against the
bottom of the center baluster space the top out about 6" continue this until
the rectangular is full What this dose is give you a fan or wagon wheel
effect. The trick to make this look good is to be able to space your 4X4
rail post evenly. You have to almost lay out the fan out and post spacing to
see what works best. When it's done put a 2X6 cap on top. It will even look
better if you can use 1X1 pickets. I built the fans on a bench ( prefab)
then installed them .I also trimmed out the rectangles to hide the cuts. I
don't have any pictures to post of railings I did.
http://chesterfieldfence.com/Fan%20Rail%20Inside2.jpg I found this (
loads slow ) This gives you the idea but I would use a little wider spacing
on the fan not the way I would frame it but you get the idea.