Dave K.

Default Are all composite deck railings flimsy?

We're considering having a second-story deck built using one of the
composite brands of decking, such as TimberTech TwinFinish (see
http://www.timbertech.com/products/twinplank.aspx ) which is the solid kind
of composite decking, like Trex, that is a combination of wood fiber and
polymers.

Anyway, most people -- including our deck builder -- have advised us not to
use composite materials for the railing (especially on a deck that will be
up high, like ours) because they aren't strong enough. We prefer that the
whole deck be low maintenance and prefer not to have varnish all the boards
on a cedar railing year after year. (We don't like the grayed-out look from
unvarnished cedar or pressure treated wood.) So unless we can find a
composite railing alternative, we'll probably be going with a cedar and
aluminum spindle railing system for our new deck. The cedar will be high
maintenance but at least the spindles would be maintenance free.

Anyway, it seems odd that these composite decking manufacturers haven't yet
come up with a sturdy, low-maintenance railing system that matches their
decking products. Does anybody know of a type or brand of low-maintenance
composite railing material that is sturdy and strong? Does anyone have such
a composite railing system that they've used and are happy with?

Your advice would be appreciated!!

--
NOTE: Please delete the word "REMOVE" from my e-mail address when replying.
This is a spam guard.

m Ransley

Solid color stain on treated wood wont require restaining for 5- 10
yrs. Paint may last 20 . To use varinsh is asking for alot of work
and upkeep.

Tony Hwang

m Ransley wrote:

Solid color stain on treated wood wont require restaining for 5- 10
yrs. Paint may last 20 . To use varinsh is asking for alot of work
and upkeep.

Hi,
Depending whether it is on horizontal or vertical surface.
Tony
DanG

Use steel for the structural elements, cap with composite material
to match your deck. Works quite well.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Keep the whole world singing. . . .
DanG

"Dave K." wrote in message
[...]

Dave K.

Use steel for the structural elements, cap with composite material
to match your deck. Works quite well.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Keep the whole world singing. . . .
DanG

Dan,

That sounds like a good idea. Are you talking about some kind of custom made
steel railing that needs to be welded, or are there pre-made railings that
you can buy at lumber yards that work well for this? How do you cap them --
do you mean just adding a composite board on top of the top rail? Do you
know of any photos online that show a steel railing capped with the
composite material? That would be really helpful to see!

Dave

ClearCut

"Dave K." wrote in message ...
We're considering having a second-story deck built using one of the
composite brands of decking, such as TimberTech TwinFinish (see
http://www.timbertech.com/products/twinplank.aspx ) which is the solid kind
of composite decking, like Trex, that is a combination of wood fiber and
polymers.

Anyway, most people -- including our deck builder -- have advised us not to
use composite materials for the railing (especially on a deck that will be
up high, like ours) because they aren't strong enough.

....snip...

I recently built a railing using Trex components and using Trex design
and installation instructions The railing is sufficiently strong to
keep an active 2 year old contained. For the Trex system at least you
do need to follow design constraints, the 4X4 posts cannot be notched
for example. The railing needs to be supported every 18". This railing
appears to be every bit as strong as ones made of wood.

This was an existing deck and there was one odd corner where I had to
use lag screws in lieu of carriage bolts to secure the posts where I
am less confident of the long term strength. I would not want someone
sitting on that corner rocking back and forth for example.

I also built benches as a railing using prefabricated steel supports
set 24" apart. The steel provides the legs, seat and back support,
with 2X6 Trex for the actual seat and back. These are very sturdy. If
the height above the seat for the railing meets code requirements,
this may be an option.
Dave K.

Thanks for the tips. I know there are some composite materials that are
approved by our city code for decking but that same material isn't approved
for railings. I'll have to check on the Trex.

Dave

--
NOTE: Please delete the word "REMOVE" from my e-mail address when replying.
This is a spam guard.
"ClearCut" wrote in message
om...