Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Default How bout some suggestions on what type of finish to use on this?

Here is one of my current projects that is not on my honey do list at
the same time.

I am almost ready to apply some type of finish, but am undecided on what
to use. Nitrocel laquer has been suggested by several friends, but I
have never used it.

I want the natural beauty and grain of the wood to show, so I am
considering an airbrush of black or brown around the edge and leave the
center areas a clear or yellowish tinted clear coat. Sort of the
traditional "tobacco sunburst" finish.

I think this is ash so suggestions on if I should put sealers or
whatever before stains, etc. would be helpful

Attached Thumbnails
How bout some suggestions on what type of finish to use on this?-p5130070-jpg  How bout some suggestions on what type of finish to use on this?-p5130069-jpg
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

mapdude wrote:
Here is one of my current projects that is not on my honey do list at
the same time.

I am almost ready to apply some type of finish, but am undecided on what
to use. Nitrocel laquer has been suggested by several friends, but I
have never used it.

I want the natural beauty and grain of the wood to show, so I am
considering an airbrush of black or brown around the edge and leave the
center areas a clear or yellowish tinted clear coat. Sort of the
traditional "tobacco sunburst" finish.

I think this is ash so suggestions on if I should put sealers or
whatever before stains, etc. would be helpful

Beheln's makes a lacquer finish just for stringed instruments:

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Finishin...t_Lacquer.html

You can check out the other finishing products Stewart MacDonald has to
offer at:

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Finishing_supplies.html

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"mapdude" wrote in message
news
Here is one of my current projects that is not on my honey do list at
the same time.

I am almost ready to apply some type of finish, but am undecided on what
to use. Nitrocel laquer has been suggested by several friends, but I
have never used it.

I want the natural beauty and grain of the wood to show, so I am
considering an airbrush of black or brown around the edge and leave the
center areas a clear or yellowish tinted clear coat. Sort of the
traditional "tobacco sunburst" finish.

I think this is ash so suggestions on if I should put sealers or
whatever before stains, etc. would be helpful

http://www.flickr.com/photos/64522156@N00/ this is the last Guitar I built,
Kind of a deferent desing

I have tried some automotive finishes the two part type cost a lot need a
special mask. just to much of a pain. The thing about lacquer is it's
pretty easy to learn how to spray pretty easy to fix if you screw it up. I
like to lay them down flat and spray them I always engineer some method of
turning them over to spray both sides. The best results I've got is by doing
3 coats a day for three days. I wet sand in-between every other coat. The
wet sanding can be tricky if you sand into the wood it swells up you can
also wet sand with naphtha ( charcoal lighter fluid) After the guitar sits
for about 3 weeks minimum your ready for the final wet sanding and buffing.
You might consider buying a book on finishing. This sight will give you some
good information http://reranch.august.net/. As for a sprayers I use just
a simple cup gun my favorite was a $20 shading gun but I drop it now I use a
$40 dollar one with the cup on top. I do have a some full size nice ones but
the cheap ones are just fine. The finishing is the hardest part so take your
time quiet a bit of work to getting a great finish I have a full size buffer
and lost count of how many guitars I've sprayed. I just talked to another
builder or as I like to say a parts assembler he pays about $300 to $400 to
have his guitars finished.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

how about a strawberry sunburst made with the blood of Jimi Hendrix and hair
from Jimmy Page.