Woodworking Plans and Photos (alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking) - Show off or just share photos of your hard work.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1   Report Post  
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,387
Default Face frame (corner) clamps

Gluing a box corner using face frame clamps (from "It Works For Me" in
news:rec.woodworking)

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
DeSoto, Iowa USA
http://www.iedu.com/DeSoto/collectors.html




Attached Images
File Type: jpg FaceFrameClamp.jpg (197.8 KB, 57 views)
  #2   Report Post  
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,387
Default New workshop and boxes built using face frame clamps

Morris Dovey wrote:
| Gluing a box corner using face frame clamps (from "It Works For Me"
| in news:rec.woodworking)

This morning I had the pleasure of seeing the box clamped up in my
previous post (and a twin) installed in a brand-new workshop building
down in Madison County.

No one in the four-man crew had never seen a solar heating panel
before, so it took 'em almost 45 minutes to get these installed. :-)

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
DeSoto, Iowa USA
http://www.iedu.com/DeSoto/solar.html






Attached Thumbnails
Face frame (corner) clamps-sc_madison_5-jpg  Face frame (corner) clamps-sc_madison_6-jpg  
  #3   Report Post  
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 43
Default Face frame (corner) clamps


"Morris Dovey" wrote in message
...
Gluing a box corner using face frame clamps (from "It Works For Me" in
news:rec.woodworking)

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
DeSoto, Iowa USA
http://www.iedu.com/DeSoto/collectors.html

Morris... I have not seen that type of clamp before. Must get some. Looks
better than the corner clamps I use. W W


  #4   Report Post  
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,387
Default Face frame (corner) clamps

Warren Weber wrote:

| Morris... I have not seen that type of clamp before. Must get some.
| Looks better than the corner clamps I use. W W

Me too. I bought one each of the corner and right-angle clamps from
Grizzly, liked them because they make some pocket joinery easier, and
then bought a bunch of them from Menards for this project when it
looked like the alternative would be a pair of 6' and a pair of 8'
Bessy's.

They're still available from Grizzly, McFeelys sells 'em, and there're
probably other sources - but Menards' appear to have higher quality
castings and smoother Acme lead screws, and the price is a couple of
dollars less than either Griz or McFeely.

For this project I used eight corner clamps and nine right angle
clamps and they saved my backside because all joints needed to be
glued within one 10-minute period. I got it all done in eight
minutes - but it was still a /very/ busy eight minutes. :-)

If you get the clamps and the PSA abrasive pads on the jaws seem too
rough, they can be peeled off and replaced with something more
appropriate to the job at hand. I replaced mine with some outdoor PSA
non-slip stair tread tape - and it didn't mar the poplar I was working
with.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
DeSoto, Iowa USA
http://www.iedu.com/DeSoto/solar.html


  #5   Report Post  
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,387
Default New workshop and boxes (closure)

Morris Dovey wrote:

| This morning I had the pleasure of seeing the box clamped up in my
| previous post (and a twin) installed in a brand-new workshop
| building down in Madison County.
|
| No one in the four-man crew had never seen a solar heating panel
| before, so it took 'em almost 45 minutes to get these installed. :-)

Stopped by yesterday to rout the intake and discharge openings and
developed the beginnings of a case of workshop envy. With the rest of
the south wall in place, it looks a lot better than it did the day
before.

They'd drilled a 1/2" hole through the 5/8" ply wall paneling to mark
vent locations, so all I had to do was insert a 3/8" trim router bit
and follow the outline of the vents in the solar panels.

It was the first time I've ever used a router while standing on a
ladder and didn't feel all that much different from the first time I
took a chainsaw up a ladder.

It's not exactly FWW, but I thought folks might be interested in
seeing a self-heating shop and how it went together.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
DeSoto, Iowa USA
http://www.iedu.com/DeSoto/solar.html






Attached Thumbnails
Face frame (corner) clamps-sc_madison_10-jpg  Face frame (corner) clamps-sc_madison_11-jpg  


  #6   Report Post  
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 35
Default New workshop and boxes (closure)

On Thu, 29 Mar 2007 06:18:24 -0600, "Morris Dovey"
wrote:

Morris Dovey wrote:

| This morning I had the pleasure of seeing the box clamped up in my
| previous post (and a twin) installed in a brand-new workshop
| building down in Madison County.
|
| No one in the four-man crew had never seen a solar heating panel
| before, so it took 'em almost 45 minutes to get these installed. :-)

Stopped by yesterday to rout the intake and discharge openings and
developed the beginnings of a case of workshop envy. With the rest of
the south wall in place, it looks a lot better than it did the day
before.

They'd drilled a 1/2" hole through the 5/8" ply wall paneling to mark
vent locations, so all I had to do was insert a 3/8" trim router bit
and follow the outline of the vents in the solar panels.

It was the first time I've ever used a router while standing on a
ladder and didn't feel all that much different from the first time I
took a chainsaw up a ladder.

It's not exactly FWW, but I thought folks might be interested in
seeing a self-heating shop and how it went together.



Nice work as usual, Morris. I want. :-) If I can get my neighbors
to the south to give me a little more solar exposure, maybe I can get
this going pretty soon!
  #7   Report Post  
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2
Default New workshop and boxes (closure)

"Morris Dovey" wrote in news:460ba0ab$0$504$815e3792
@news.qwest.net:

Morris Dovey wrote:

It's not exactly FWW, but I thought folks might be interested in
seeing a self-heating shop and how it went together.


Looking at the second picture; is there any issue with dust
being pulled into the collector? Even with excellent filtration,
I'd expect something to get into the panels. How would one clean
the interior?

  #8   Report Post  
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,387
Default New workshop and boxes (closure)

Nobo Dy wrote:
| "Morris Dovey" wrote in
| news:460ba0ab$0$504$815e3792 @news.qwest.net:
|
|| Morris Dovey wrote:
||
|| It's not exactly FWW, but I thought folks might be interested in
|| seeing a self-heating shop and how it went together.
|
| Looking at the second picture; is there any issue with dust
| being pulled into the collector? Even with excellent filtration,
| I'd expect something to get into the panels. How would one clean
| the interior?

Excellent question. It's easy for dust to be sucked into the intakes,
but (I'm not sure why) relatively little completes the convoluted path
to the front absorber/heat exchange section, although the almost five
year old 12' panel in my shop has managed to accumulate a fair amount
of MDF dust without having its performance noticably degraded.

If the dust accumulation reaches problem levels, the only remedy is to
remove the twinwall polycarbonate glazing, vacuum it out, wipe the
aluminum slats with a damp cloth, and replace the glazing.

The building owner and I had a discussion about the desirability of
shop dust collection yesterday. :-)

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
DeSoto, Iowa USA
http://www.iedu.com/DeSoto/solar.html


Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Miter/corner clamps for wide stock? Dan Woodworking 6 July 4th 06 03:32 AM
Corner clamps for a frame, What is this for? Steve Home Repair 0 October 17th 05 09:11 PM
Face Frame Attachment... loutent Woodworking 10 July 13th 05 08:17 AM
FACE FRAME FIRST OR LAST? Vic Baron Woodworking 14 February 17th 05 06:40 PM
Face Frame Alignment damian penney Woodworking 51 January 8th 05 09:27 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:31 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2024 DIYbanter.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about DIY & home improvement"