10sc

After seeing your note I did some surfing and found their web site. I've
never heard of them (or the street they're on for that matter) but I will
give them a call on Monday.

I agree Kevin, they should sponsor a club. If nothing else, maybe I can
instigate something. How do their lathes compare?

10sc

"Kevin" wrote in message
Please someone correct me if I'm wrong but aren't Vega lathes manufactured
in Decatur? Seems that the company would sponsor a wood club in their own
town.
-Kevin

Bill Rubenstein

I own a table saw fence made by them and also a table saw tenoning jig.
They are both first rate. They have never been a major player in the
lathe area, though.

Bill

"Kevin" wrote in message

Please someone correct me if I'm wrong but aren't Vega lathes manufactured
in Decatur? Seems that the company would sponsor a wood club in their own
town.
-Kevin

Lobby Dosser

Bill Rubenstein wrote:

I own a table saw fence made by them and also a table saw tenoning jig.
They are both first rate. They have never been a major player in the
lathe area, though.

Bill

I've always associated the name VEGA with lathes. Haven't they been in the
duplicator business for years? I didn't know they made fences and jigs.

LD
Bill Rubenstein

Theirs was one of the real early (maybe the earliest) of the good saw
fences. My saw is a Powermatic Artisan (contractor's) saw which is very
old. The fence from the factory is a Vega fence -- it says on it that
it is made by Vega for Powermatic. Aside from dust collection, the saw
along with a Forrest blade have done everything I've asked of them and
then some. I'm using a JDS miter gauge which is also very nice.

Vega's duplicator has been on the market for years but I've never used
one of theirs nor anybody else's -- the few spindles I turn are done by
hand -- faster. I just finished a little job -- 20 18" spindles for
grandfather clocks.

I turned on one of their old lathes for a few hours (I taught a student
on his machine) -- I have no idea what the model number was and it had
problems. If I remember correctly, I don't believe that the spindle was
bored, for one. I've seen one of their newer bowl lathes being used at
a show but not used it.

Bill

Lobby Dosser wrote:
Bill Rubenstein wrote:

I own a table saw fence made by them and also a table saw tenoning jig.
They are both first rate. They have never been a major player in the
lathe area, though.

Bill

I've always associated the name VEGA with lathes. Haven't they been in the
duplicator business for years? I didn't know they made fences and jigs.

LD

Kevin

I've never used one of their products. Mine is a 12" Jet. Works fine for
me but I do admit to a bit of lust in my heart when I see some of the
dedicated bowl lathes. It's be quite a few years in the future before I
spring for one though.

-Kevin