Bill Rubenstein

Theirs was one of the real early (maybe the earliest) of the good saw
fences. My saw is a Powermatic Artisan (contractor's) saw which is very
old. The fence from the factory is a Vega fence -- it says on it that
it is made by Vega for Powermatic. Aside from dust collection, the saw
along with a Forrest blade have done everything I've asked of them and
then some. I'm using a JDS miter gauge which is also very nice.

Vega's duplicator has been on the market for years but I've never used
one of theirs nor anybody else's -- the few spindles I turn are done by
hand -- faster. I just finished a little job -- 20 18" spindles for
grandfather clocks.

I turned on one of their old lathes for a few hours (I taught a student
on his machine) -- I have no idea what the model number was and it had
problems. If I remember correctly, I don't believe that the spindle was
bored, for one. I've seen one of their newer bowl lathes being used at
a show but not used it.

Bill

Lobby Dosser wrote:
Bill Rubenstein wrote:

I own a table saw fence made by them and also a table saw tenoning jig.
They are both first rate. They have never been a major player in the
lathe area, though.

Bill

I've always associated the name VEGA with lathes. Haven't they been in the
duplicator business for years? I didn't know they made fences and jigs.

LD