Default Soap treatment for Geen wood

I have been reading about a dishwashing detergent soak for stabilizing
green wood. I am planing on experimenting with it but I wonder if
anyone knows if it can be used for a product designed to hold edible
substances. Thanks Rod

George

wrote in message
oups.com...
I have been reading about a dishwashing detergent soak for stabilizing
green wood. I am planing on experimenting with it but I wonder if
anyone knows if it can be used for a product designed to hold edible
substances. Thanks Rod

The mechanism through which detergent accomplishes this is a chemical
mystery, and, if the majority of turners - who do not employ it - are any
indication, green wood is easily dried without.

There are a lot of mistakes made in attempting to season green turnings.
Perhaps if you could indicate where you are having difficulty, other
remedies may be suggested.

Barry N. Turner

Drying green wood is not the problem. Green wood dries with zero help from
the turner. Drying green wood without it cracking is the issue. I simply
dry my green wood bowls in a closed cardboard box or a brown paper bag with
the top closed.

Barry

"George" george@least wrote in message

wrote in message
oups.com...
I have been reading about a dishwashing detergent soak for stabilizing
green wood. I am planing on experimenting with it but I wonder if
anyone knows if it can be used for a product designed to hold edible
substances. Thanks Rod

The mechanism through which detergent accomplishes this is a chemical
mystery, and, if the majority of turners - who do not employ it - are any
indication, green wood is easily dried without.

There are a lot of mistakes made in attempting to season green turnings.
Perhaps if you could indicate where you are having difficulty, other
remedies may be suggested.

Arch

Dave, a couple of thoughts for Rod while we await himself. LDD is safe
enough but it sure tastes bad when not rinsed off cups and dishes.
Whether or not it prevents cracks, it's a good lubricant, holds down
sanding dust and has little effect on finish.

To assure a quick & explosive response, I'll live dangerously. LDD is
LDD and like Sherlock Holmes' cocaine, I mix a 20% solution of any cheap
LDD and slop it on roughed Norfolk Pine blanks to preserve them. I still
believe that something special goes on between NFI and LDD.

Over to you Leif, be gentle.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

Leif Thorvaldson

Sorry for the delay in responding to the slings and arrows of the doubters
and poo-poo'ers of the LDD process. I have been experimenting with
different email systems and newsreaders.

Rod! Arch has been given special dispensation in regards to the LDD
solution. For most folks, a 50% solution is required but since Arch is a
Muse, a professional discount if offered to him.
For the naysayers, and poo-poo'ers and doubters of all ilks of this august
gathering of wood twirlers, I say verily unto you: "Yo mamas wears combat
boots and double phooey on all of you!"

NB: Rod! Ya gotta be tough with these guys or they'll think they can get
away with anything! *G*

Leif

"Arch" wrote in message
Dave, a couple of thoughts for Rod while we await himself. LDD is safe
enough but it sure tastes bad when not rinsed off cups and dishes.
Whether or not it prevents cracks, it's a good lubricant, holds down
sanding dust and has little effect on finish.

To assure a quick & explosive response, I'll live dangerously. LDD is
LDD and like Sherlock Holmes' cocaine, I mix a 20% solution of any cheap
LDD and slop it on roughed Norfolk Pine blanks to preserve them. I still
believe that something special goes on between NFI and LDD.

Over to you Leif, be gentle.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

WillR

Leif Thorvaldson wrote:
Sorry for the delay in responding to the slings and arrows of the doubt=

ers=20
and poo-poo'ers of the LDD process. I have been experimenting with=20
different email systems and newsreaders.
=20
Rod! Arch has been given special dispensation in regards to the LDD=20
solution. For most folks, a 50% solution is required but since Arch is=

a=20
Muse, a professional discount if offered to him.
For the naysayers, and poo-poo'ers and doubters of all ilks of this aug=

ust=20
gathering of wood twirlers, I say verily unto you: "Yo mamas wears comb=

at=20
boots and double phooey on all of you!"
=20
NB: Rod! Ya gotta be tough with these guys or they'll think they can g=

et=20
away with anything! *G*

Over to you Leif, be gentle.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

=20
=20
=20

OK The part about LDD id clear... I DAGS and saw Leifs page.
http://www.turningwood.com/LDD.htm

Now I am looking forward to trying green wood.

But not sure what to do with the "Teflon Banana Peel" - is it used in=20
the sharpening process? Or did I miss something.

:-)

--=20
Will R.
Jewel Boxes and Wood Art
http://woodwork.pmccl.com
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those=20
who have not got it.=94 George Bernard Shaw
Leif Thorvaldson

--
Will R.
Yes, Will. It is an off-shoot of the "Scary-Sharp" procedure and is used to

Leif