Will

Default Grinding Questions? - Thank You Darrell Feltmate

Just found this Post from Lee van der Loo regarding your site.

I was just setting up my Veritas Tool Rest (Like yours) when I decided
to look at the posts about grinders. Had the usual trouble when starting
to grind tools from a long absence - might as well be new I guess. :-)

Have a Delta 3450 RPM with the coarse stone replaced with an AlO wheel
from Lee Valley.

Lady fingers! grumble grumble!!!

At least the simple tools are kinda ok. :-) They cut even cleaner now.

The sharpening info is a big help - just like all the other info.

Liked the movie. :-) - little dark at one point but great stuff!

Thank you.

http://www.aroundthewoods.com/sharp.shtml

Hi Rick

Keep your grinder, you might replace one of your wheels with a new
aluminium oxide wheel and buy or build a sharpening jig, platform.
Have a look at Darrell Feltmate's site, he's got some good hints, ideas.

http://www.aroundthewoods.com/sharp.shtml

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

Rick Samuel wrote:

Have an old grinder that has seen better days, it has 6" wheels.

Have a Jet 1014 on order.
Anyone have ideas as to what to replace my grinder with? The low

speed, (70 to 400) wet, looks like a good idea. Comments welcome.
Thanks in advance.

--
Will
Occasional Techno-geek
Darrell Feltmate

Will
You are very welcome.

--
God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate

Will

I will make sure your page has a link on my site - unless you object --
It will be there later today. Lot of good info and links to pass along.

See:
http://woodwork.pmccl.com/Business/linksbusiness.htm

It gets a fair amount of direct hits and search engine traffic.

If anyone else has a "high-value" site feel free to bring it to my
attention. However, _wherever possible_ I would like a return link.

I try to restrict it to Canadian sites unless the work is spectacularly
good or the information is of high value to other wood workers.

Darrell Feltmate wrote:
Will
You are very welcome.

--
Will
Occasional Techno-geek
Will

Darrell:

One small update on your web site...
The more I dig the better I like it BTW

When I plugged in Enco #3837030 -- all the search engines found was your
site. You beat out Enco itself.... :-)

So here is the link for those thinking of duplicating Darrells work.
http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INPDFF?PMPAGE=55

383-7030 is the part number you (should) mention on the web site. Duh!
it took me a minute to figure out their numbering system. "Enco
#3837030" only finds your site...

I like this idea of making tools - since I saw the price of similar
Sorby tools. The idea of $2.58 - even in $USD is appealing. And I need
practice turning anyway. :-)

Does anyone know of a GTA based supplier where you can get these or
similar bits?

Darrell Feltmate wrote:
Will
You are very welcome.

--
Will
Occasional Techno-geek
Darrell Feltmate

Will
While you are there take a look at the 1/4" x 8" round tool bit #383-7015.
Sink it 2" into a handle, grind the tip like a screwdriver, grind across the
tip to 70* and sharpen as a skew. Bob Rosand showed me this one. It makes a
great skew for small spindles. Thanks for the heads uo on the Enco link. One
of these days I will fix it up and I appreciate the link. One of these days
(where have I heard that before?) I need to set up a links page. By the way
http://www.busybeetools.com has a sale on square tool bits. No affiliation
but I like to support a Canadian business when I can and they have always
given good service.

--
God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate

Will

Know about BusyBee - just bought an $#@$% awful chuck from them for $25
-- but I am hoping it is better than no chuck at all. It is very heavy
so it should make out-balance turning of "firewood" easier. LOL

Found the HSS steel under Cutting tools for anyone else that is
interested...

http://busybeetools.com/
Go to more... on the main page menu then --
Cutting Tools Tool Bits HSS
$0.79 to $4.99 - my kind of prices. :-)

Course in the local stores you have to stand near the Sorby's display
while you buy the stuff -- as I recall.