Stephen

Default Texas Turners question

I'm expecting to be in the Houson area for the middle couple of weeks of
March. I'd be interested in visiting any woodturning groups or any special
events particularly related to Mesquite or other local Texas crafts.

I know someone lately here in this NG asked for some mesquite and was
offered a couple of billets (chunks of firewood) or a couple of green logs
from an arbourist to throw in the back of his pick-up truck. If only I could
pack the same in a suitcase and import it into Canada.
My local supplier
http://www.blackforestwood.com/
doesn't stock any.

To share what I've found so far:

Here's a link to the Texas Mesquite Assn which is having a seminar in March,
but it's a couple of hundred miles west of Houston - sounds like a lot of
fun:
http://www.texasmesquiteassn.org/

Here's a vendor of mesquite wood:
http://www.tbird-hardwoods.com

Additional info appreciated - thanks in advance

signup-42-at-shaw-dot-ca
remove-the-hyphens

Ray Sandusky

Stephen

I travel to Houston quite a bit.

On the soutwest side of town - at Beltway 8 and I-59 there is a store called
The Cutting Edge. It is primarily devoted to woodturning. It is locally
owned and the owner is almost always there - Steve Legrue. A great guy and
customer oriented.

There is a store in Spring - I-45 at Spring/Cypress Road (I think that's the
intersection) that has quite a bit of turning stuff.

There is also a Woodcraft at SH-290 at Hollister.

These stores sell wood but it is not cheap!

As far as getting Mesquite. There is a trick to that. You need to go to a
firewood seller - there are quite a few through out the area. When you talk
to the people, ask them where they get their wood split. This is where you
will need to go if you want the stuff before it is split. If you want small
stuff, then buy it from them. Once you find out where the wood is split,
beat a path to them and ask to go in the back where the logs are whole.
Have a few feet cut, box it up and ship it back by UPS.

My father in law is in the building business down there and he will cut down
some Mesquite or Pecan and save it for me. I drive from TN with a trailer
and pull it back. Long drive, but worth it!

Ray Sandusky
Brentwood, TN

"Stephen" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Jonathan Dzoba

Stephen,

The local woodturner's group is http://gulfcoastwoodturners.org/.

I'm sure there are any number of firewood places around, but I don't
know which ones split their own logs. I have always wondered about a place
near my house. If I have time to check it out I'll get back to you.

Jonathan

"Stephen" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
JRJohnson

Jonathan, go to www.woodfinder.com/pages/unique.htm
The best and most spectacular mesquite is available here. You do not have
to go there, he will ship to you.

Regards,
James Johnson\

question for turners mark Woodworking 5 December 29th 04 06:19 PM
OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 05:52 AM
Plumbing Question Jeff UK diy 4 December 1st 03 01:49 PM
Question????? Sir Edgar Woodworking 8 July 20th 03 05:22 PM