mark

Default question for turners

I have a lathe that I use to make chair legs. This is almost always green
wood, and everything I turn is round. I made a diningroom table, and had a
devil of a time making the transition from square to round. What tool and
technique is the best for doing this? I know, I should buy a book on
turning, but I figured i'd ask here first...maybe even get a quick
recommendation on a book that might show me that. Thanks

AAvK

I have a lathe that I use to make chair legs. This is almost always green
wood, and everything I turn is round. I made a diningroom table, and had a
devil of a time making the transition from square to round. What tool and
technique is the best for doing this? I know, I should buy a book on
turning, but I figured i'd ask here first...maybe even get a quick
recommendation on a book that might show me that. Thanks

Not to be rude, but: rec.crafts.woodturning is a pretty busy NG.

Alex

mark

"AAvK" wrote in message

I have a lathe that I use to make chair legs. This is almost always
green
wood, and everything I turn is round. I made a diningroom table, and had
devil of a time making the transition from square to round. What tool
and
technique is the best for doing this? I know, I should buy a book on
turning, but I figured i'd ask here first...maybe even get a quick
recommendation on a book that might show me that. Thanks

Not to be rude, but: rec.crafts.woodturning is a pretty busy NG.

Alex

Thanks. Didn't know it existed...this and antique radios is the only two I
read. I'll check it out. Off to learn more about wooden bowls and cowboy
hats than I'll ever want to know...

Nova

mark wrote:

I have a lathe that I use to make chair legs. This is almost always green
wood, and everything I turn is round. I made a diningroom table, and had a
devil of a time making the transition from square to round. What tool and
technique is the best for doing this? I know, I should buy a book on
turning, but I figured i'd ask here first...maybe even get a quick
recommendation on a book that might show me that. Thanks

The best tool for use on a lathe to go from square to round is a roughing
gouge. If the entire leg is to be round you can knock the corners off, making
a octagon, using your tablesaw which will speed the process.

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

DJ Delorie

The best way to do such transitions is as follows:

Sharpen your skew.

Position your toolrest AT the centerline (height-wise).

With the spindle turning at medium speed, place the skew on the
toolrest long point down and with the shaft parallel to the ground.
The width of the shaft should be nearly vertical; i.e. the short point
is at the top and the long point at the bottom. You may need to tilt
the skew towards the wood SLIGHTLY so that the cutting edge is aligned
with the wood's motion.

Align the bevel of the skew with the contour you want to cut and
present the edge to the wood. Keep the shaft parallel to the ground
as you make the cut. This cut is a highly angled slicing cut made
with the long point, and minimizes splintering.

Note that the technique is similar to v-grooves and facing end grain,
except that the skew is kept parallel to the ground rather than being
levered in.

As you approach the final cut, increase RPMs, take lighter cuts, and
move slower.

To sand, use a long sanding block, holding both ends and presenting
the middle to the cut edge.

mark

perfect, thanks. I'll give it a try.