Debbie

Default hollowing question

I've been turning bowls for a while and now want to expand my horizons
into some hollowing. If I am using green wood is the procedure the same
as for bowls - ie rough to 10% of the diameter, let dry then finish?
Or should I just hollow the green wood to finished piece? How do you
experts out there handle this?

Thanks for your opinions..
Debbie

Ray Sandusky

Debbie

In my opinion, which is of value only to me...

I would go from log to finished piece in one go. I have never twice turned
a hollow form.

I know that some do - Simon Levy of Tennessee does. John Jordan, also of
Tennessee, does all of his pieces in one go at the lathe. I subscribe to
the John Jordan idea that if you understand the properties of wood and what
it will do and how it does it, then you can (sort of) control the outcome.
Joh recently put out a DVD that is quite informative on the subject.

Take care

Ray Sandusky
Brentwood, TN

"Debbie" wrote in message
oups.com...
I've been turning bowls for a while and now want to expand my horizons
into some hollowing. If I am using green wood is the procedure the same
as for bowls - ie rough to 10% of the diameter, let dry then finish?
Or should I just hollow the green wood to finished piece? How do you
experts out there handle this?

Thanks for your opinions..
Debbie

Leif Thorvaldson

"Debbie" wrote in message
oups.com...
I've been turning bowls for a while and now want to expand my horizons
into some hollowing. If I am using green wood is the procedure the same
as for bowls - ie rough to 10% of the diameter, let dry then finish?
Or should I just hollow the green wood to finished piece? How do you
experts out there handle this?

Thanks for your opinions..
Debbie

===Well, Debbie, since you opened the door by asking for opinions . . . !
My suggestion is to use LDD on green wood and then you don't have to worry
about waiting for drying or have to finish it in one go. Since all the big
guns are into visual media production, I have given some thought into
producing "the" definitive LDD VHS tape or a CD. The problem is how to make
a video tape of a chunk of wood sitting in a soap solution exciting to
turners ("turn" them on, you might say)! Maybe scantily clad models of
either sex (buyers choice) sharing a tub of LDD with the wood? That might
give me a toehold in JJ's market base!*G*

Leif

robert

Leif Thorvaldson wrote:
"Debbie" wrote in message
oups.com...

[...]

Debbie,

I just finished a hollow turning out of green cherry. Unfortunately, as
it dried, the base DID warp a bit so the piece rocked on the table. The
owner has given it back to me to flatten out the base again. Their
comment was that they didnt want folks to see it rock and think poorly
of the designer. Thanks MOM! LOL

Leif, I have been away from the group for quite a while, but it is nice
to see you are still here pushing LDD. I guess some things never
change. Thank goodness. As to the models in the hot tub with the LDD,
I cant help but picture the scene from 'Back to School' with Rodney
Dangerfield in the tub with the ladies while wearing a mask and snorkel.
I keep picturing bowl blanks floating in there too!

Bob

Bill Rubenstein

robert wrote:
Leif Thorvaldson wrote:

"Debbie" wrote in message
oups.com...

[...]

You must make allowances for the bottom warping because it will always
do that.

First, the bottom must not be flat. It needs to be hollowed so that the
piece sits on a thin rim of wood. Then, you need to flatten that rim
after the piece quits moving. Turn the piece thin and let it sit for
several days. Then there are several things you can do with the bottom.

You can glue a piece of sandpaper to a flat surface and sand the bottom
rim flat by rotating and rubbing the piece on the sandpaper. Low tech
but it works just fine.

Or you can reverse chuck it and re-turn the bottom rim. Reversing it
can most easily be done using a vacuum chuck but since you are turning
only a small amount of wood (the narrow rim) you can also just try
taping the piece to some sort of a home made jam chuck.

Better yet, you can also just hold it against a jam chuck with the tail
stock and use a piece of scrap at the tailstock end so that it doesn't
make a hole. BTW, I'd use a small scraper on the rim or use a skew as a
scraper. You aren't taking off much wood and it would be a shame to
screw it up now.

Hope this helps.
Bill

robert

Bill Rubenstein wrote:
robert wrote:

Leif Thorvaldson wrote:

"Debbie" wrote in message
oups.com...

[...]

Bill,

The bottom was a small decorative ring around the bottom that came from
to close to the original pith. I hollow all of my bottoms as I find a
bottom with small details much more interesting than a simple plain one.

I will be reverse turning it as it warped enough to make the sandpaper
method way to time consuming.

Bob

Leo Van Der Loo

Hi Deb

Why don't you try to get the hang of it first by rough turning some
green wood and set them aside to dry, then do some finished shape and
thickness turning, by that time you'll have more experience and you can
then finnish turn your dry ones, and decide then the how or what you
like best.
Just my way of looking at it.

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

Debbie wrote:

I've been turning bowls for a while and now want to expand my horizons
into some hollowing. If I am using green wood is the procedure the same
as for bowls - ie rough to 10% of the diameter, let dry then finish?
Or should I just hollow the green wood to finished piece? How do you
experts out there handle this?

Thanks for your opinions..
Debbie

George

"robert" wrote in message

The bottom was a small decorative ring around the bottom that came from
to close to the original pith. I hollow all of my bottoms as I find a
bottom with small details much more interesting than a simple plain one.

I will be reverse turning it as it warped enough to make the sandpaper
method way to time consuming.

I'd like to make a plug for purely vertical section on the bottom rim. Even
for the interrupted-edge stuff we turn green, it's a good way to avoid that
thicker-thinner look on the bottom edges while still allowing the easier
sandpaper adjustment.

Ralph E Lindberg

In article .com,
"Debbie" wrote:

I've been turning bowls for a while and now want to expand my horizons
into some hollowing. If I am using green wood is the procedure the same
as for bowls - ie rough to 10% of the diameter, let dry then finish?
Or should I just hollow the green wood to finished piece? How do you
experts out there handle this?

Something I have read about but never tried... Drying the rough
turned object in a microwave.

I would do a search on the topic, rather then take my figures, but
it's usually 2 minutes at defrost followed by a complete cool-down (12
hours?) then another 2 minutes. Repeat until dry (using weight or a pin
tester)

Personal e-mail is the n7bsn but at amsat.org
RV and Camping FAQ can be found at
http://www.ralphandellen.us/rv
George

"Ralph E Lindberg" wrote in message

Something I have read about but never tried... Drying the rough
turned object in a microwave.

I would do a search on the topic, rather then take my figures, but
it's usually 2 minutes at defrost followed by a complete cool-down (12
hours?) then another 2 minutes. Repeat until dry (using weight or a pin
tester)

Normally hollowed pieces are turned fairly thin, in which case microwaving
is not just unnecessary, but ill-advised. You can go from steam to smoke
_very_ quickly. Let 'em dry quietly rather than risk. It's a matter of a
few days at most.

Ricky Dietsch

Normally hollowed pieces are turned fairly thin, in which case microwaving
is not just unnecessary, but ill-advised. You can go from steam to smoke
_very_ quickly. Let 'em dry quietly rather than risk. It's a matter of a
few days at most.

I tried to dry a nice piece of maple in the kitchen microwave. Just a
little at a time.
Well I got it going too fast, and smoke started coming out of the end of the
wood. Both ends.
I quickly put it int the sink and covered it with water. The smoke was still
coming out the ends.
It was smoldering inside. By now the smoke is thick enough to set the smoke
detercor off, and thick enough to make me concerened for the 4 cockatiels in
the house. So I carried their cages outside.
The wood is still smoking, but I was able to finally carry it outside and
watch it burn to ashes in the driveway.

So when the wife comes home and sees the tiels on the front porch she knows
I've been up to something. I said "Honey, lets go get a new microwave
tonight." She said "Were you trying to dry your shoes again?" (That is
another story that ranks right up there with drying wool socks).

My advise is buy an old microwave, use it outside, and never set it more
than 6 minutes. But if you do it in the house use an aromatic wood. Maple
may taste good on pancakes but it sure stinks as a smoking wood.
Ricky

william kossack

what power settings did you use for the microwave?

I've done a few pieces in the microwave but these were genearlly roughed
out bowls. I start out at about 30% power (about the setting you would
use for defrosting food) for a minute and check. If it is only warm I
let it cool then increase the time maybe to 2 minutes. I never increase
the power only the time.

You don't want it to become hot.

After several heating I put the piece aside until next day. Next day if
on another nuking at low power that it does not get warm then it is
probably dry. If it warms up then I put it through a couple cycles at
the same power.

Ricky Dietsch wrote:
[...]

George

"william kossack" wrote in message
what power settings did you use for the microwave?

I've done a few pieces in the microwave but these were genearlly roughed
out bowls. I start out at about 30% power (about the setting you would
use for defrosting food) for a minute and check. If it is only warm I
let it cool then increase the time maybe to 2 minutes. I never increase
the power only the time.

You don't want it to become hot.

There's the rub. 30% is not 30% by power, but by time. In the most
insulated portion of your piece, or where you have something with high
density like a knot, you can still light 'em. Mine seems to be about 15-20
seconds at 30%, followed by 30-45 of fan only.

Suppose if yours were to operate on shorter power times, might work better.

David Wade

William,
When I played with microwave drying I used one second at high per ounce
of weight. I would repeat this until it was almost too comfortable to
hold (but not painful), no more than three repetitions. I would let it
cool for 30 to 60 minutes and do up to another series of up to three
repetitions on the same program. If they would fit, I would do this with
the blank inside of a plastic bag that had a hole pierced in it. The
idea was to hold hot moist air around the outside of the piece while it
was hot to avoid too great a moisture gradient in the blank. When it
came out after the third repetition I would put it in a dry bag and let
the steam collect until it cooled. This allowed for a slower but more
controlled removal of moisture. When I noticed that the piece was not
getting as warm as it had been, indicating there was not as much
moisture to heat up and I would soon be baking the wood, I stopped and
paper bagged the piece a couple more months. Not an immediate
gratification program but I did get several pieces of olive to stay
together and eventually finish up round and smooth.

Good luck, YMMV.
David

william kossack wrote:
what power settings did you use for the microwave?

I've done a few pieces in the microwave but these were genearlly roughed
out bowls. I start out at about 30% power (about the setting you would
use for defrosting food) for a minute and check. If it is only warm I
let it cool then increase the time maybe to 2 minutes. I never increase
the power only the time.

You don't want it to become hot.

After several heating I put the piece aside until next day. Next day if
on another nuking at low power that it does not get warm then it is
probably dry. If it warms up then I put it through a couple cycles at
the same power.

Debbie

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. Sounds like what I need to do is
just give it a try!!

Debbie

hollowing verus scrappers Bruce Ferguson Woodturning 11 December 31st 04 06:31 AM
OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 05:52 AM
Crown hollowing tool question Larry Woodturning 4 November 22nd 04 01:16 PM
Plumbing Question Jeff UK diy 4 December 1st 03 01:49 PM
Question????? Sir Edgar Woodworking 8 July 20th 03 05:22 PM