Ricky Dietsch

Normally hollowed pieces are turned fairly thin, in which case microwaving
is not just unnecessary, but ill-advised. You can go from steam to smoke
_very_ quickly. Let 'em dry quietly rather than risk. It's a matter of a
few days at most.

I tried to dry a nice piece of maple in the kitchen microwave. Just a
little at a time.
Well I got it going too fast, and smoke started coming out of the end of the
wood. Both ends.
I quickly put it int the sink and covered it with water. The smoke was still
coming out the ends.
It was smoldering inside. By now the smoke is thick enough to set the smoke
detercor off, and thick enough to make me concerened for the 4 cockatiels in
the house. So I carried their cages outside.
The wood is still smoking, but I was able to finally carry it outside and
watch it burn to ashes in the driveway.

So when the wife comes home and sees the tiels on the front porch she knows
I've been up to something. I said "Honey, lets go get a new microwave
tonight." She said "Were you trying to dry your shoes again?" (That is
another story that ranks right up there with drying wool socks).

My advise is buy an old microwave, use it outside, and never set it more
than 6 minutes. But if you do it in the house use an aromatic wood. Maple
may taste good on pancakes but it sure stinks as a smoking wood.
Ricky