Lewis Dodd

Default Club Websites

We are looking at re-vamping our club website.

What "free" or near "free" services exist out there to host a website? What
does your "non-profit" club use or how much do you pay for a web site?

Regards,
Lewis

Derek Andrews

Lewis Dodd wrote:
We are looking at re-vamping our club website.
What "free" or near "free" services exist out there to host a website? What
does your "non-profit" club use or how much do you pay for a web site?

There are some pretty good deals out there, depending on exactly what
you need, so unless you have zero funds for this, consider paying for a
host and domain name. I use blacksun.ca and 34sp.com for some of my
sites. I have also heard that 1and1.com is inexpensive.

If you really want free, rather than take the geocities or tripod route
with those annoying pop-up adverts etc, why not consider using a blog as
your website? You can set up team blogs at blogger.com, and because a
blog is essentially a content management system, it is quite easy for
less web savvy people to add content. I think you can even post content
by e-mail! So your chairman can have his say, the secretary and
treasurer can do their things, the events coordinator can post upcoming
events and a reporter could write about your meetings. It would just
need one person to be able to look after the template and permanent
links in the sidebar.

Here is a team blog that I have just set-up for a group I belong to:
http://artisans-announce.blogspot.com/
Its a marketing site rather than a club site, but it may give you some
ideas.

--
Derek Andrews, woodturner

http://www.seafoamwoodturning.com
http://chipshop.blogspot.com

RaZMaN

On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 12:17:11 -0600, "Lewis Dodd"
wrote:

We are looking at re-vamping our club website.

What "free" or near "free" services exist out there to host a website? What
does your "non-profit" club use or how much do you pay for a web site?

Regards,
Lewis

I do not have a club web site but I do use a hosting company and they
are great. It is Micfo.com. I have had great uptime and great
support but I have not needed to use it except once during setup.

Here is a link
http://www.micfo.com/cgi-bin/affilia....cgi?id=navaja

Joe Fleming

Lewis,

The San Diego Woodturners does their own site. It is an average site,
but we do it ourselves. It is hosted on the server of one of our
members for free.

The main thing about any website is to maintain it, whether you pay
someone to do it or you do it. If you post a calendar, you need to
refresh it monthly. If you post meeting agendas, monthly refresh. Ads
need to be put on and taken off in a timely manner. A web page
designer will only be as good as how frequently you provide refreshed
source material.

Joe Fleming - San Diego Woodturners
http://www.tridsd.com/sdwt/index.html

Ken Grunke

Lewis Dodd wrote:
We are looking at re-vamping our club website.

What "free" or near "free" services exist out there to host a website? What
does your "non-profit" club use or how much do you pay for a web site?

Regards,
Lewis

There are free hosting companies here and there that don't force ads on
your site, but they have severe limitations like only 10-20 mb of space,
lack of cgi script capability, or have poor reliability. Here's one
example I stumbled upon:

http://www.liquid2k.com/index.htm

Here's a "near-free" one, at $5 a month for 500 mb of space:

http://www.brinkster.com/Hosting/Personal.aspx

Still, it doesn't allow cgi scripts which can be useful in a lot of ways
for a club website. For hosting that does allow them, you might expect
to pay the same amount or more but for less space )probably 50-100 mb)
and maybe even get a mailing list included for internal group discussion
amongst club members.

Check out the Webhosting Talk forum, where you might find good
recommendations for hosting:
http://www.webhostingtalk.com/

The website I manage for our AAW chapter is purchased from a private
individual with a reseller account, so I can't recommend him since he's
not in the business of public hosting. We pay $70 a year for 200 mb of
space with cgi capabilities, and have a mailing list which is a great
thing for the club.

Ken Grunke
webmaster, Coulee Region Woodturners of Wisconsin
http://www.crwoodturner.com/

--
take da "ma" offa dot com fer eemayl

Bill Rubenstein

Take a look at www.akashik.net. For 7.95/mo you get access to several
scripting languages (including python -- the language I used for
www.stlturners.org), access to databases, email... and good support via
email.

Another one -- www.1and1.com. For 9.99/mo you get scripting support
(also Python) and lots of stuff. They also offer domain registration
for 5.99/year. They host my site -- www.stubbylatheusa.com.

I've had good experiences with both of these companies.

Bill

Ken Grunke wrote:
Lewis Dodd wrote:

[...]

Bill Rubenstein

One other thing...

Don't even THINK about signing up with any web site hosted on a
Microsoft platform. If it ain't linux or ..nux, forget it.

Bill

Ken Grunke wrote:

Lewis Dodd wrote:

[...]

Peter Hyde

In article ,
Ken Grunke wrote:

Lewis Dodd wrote:
[...]

Try here they are not pushing pop ups or a lot of ads just a banner at
the top of the page
http://www.bravenet.com/

--
meet me at: http://www.peterhyde.bravehost.com/
Paul Loseby

Have you seen the website and newsletter at
www.tudor-rose-turners.org.uk

Regards

Paul

On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 22:58:22 -0600, Ken Grunke
wrote:

Lewis Dodd wrote:
[...]

william_b_noble

www.woodturners.org is hosted by pair.com (www.pair.com) since I (as web
master) like to keep things simple, and I don't have a lot of time to spend
on it, I use their basic FTP account - about $60 per year. I also use their
service for my own web site (www.wbnoble.com) and they will manage your
dommain name for you as well. So far I am happy with them and their service
and their pricing - when I had some troubles, their email support was very
fast and very helpful. I used to use some free space provided by my ISP for
my personal site, but the aggravation became unbearable. If your club can't
afford $5 to $10 per month, don't have a web site.

my thoughts

bill