Paul Loseby

Have you seen the website and newsletter at
www.tudor-rose-turners.org.uk

Regards

Paul

On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 22:58:22 -0600, Ken Grunke
wrote:

Lewis Dodd wrote:
We are looking at re-vamping our club website.

What "free" or near "free" services exist out there to host a website? What
does your "non-profit" club use or how much do you pay for a web site?

Regards,
Lewis

There are free hosting companies here and there that don't force ads on
your site, but they have severe limitations like only 10-20 mb of space,
lack of cgi script capability, or have poor reliability. Here's one
example I stumbled upon:

http://www.liquid2k.com/index.htm

Here's a "near-free" one, at $5 a month for 500 mb of space:

http://www.brinkster.com/Hosting/Personal.aspx

Still, it doesn't allow cgi scripts which can be useful in a lot of ways
for a club website. For hosting that does allow them, you might expect
to pay the same amount or more but for less space )probably 50-100 mb)
and maybe even get a mailing list included for internal group discussion
amongst club members.

Check out the Webhosting Talk forum, where you might find good
recommendations for hosting:
http://www.webhostingtalk.com/

The website I manage for our AAW chapter is purchased from a private
individual with a reseller account, so I can't recommend him since he's
not in the business of public hosting. We pay $70 a year for 200 mb of
space with cgi capabilities, and have a mailing list which is a great
thing for the club.

Ken Grunke
webmaster, Coulee Region Woodturners of Wisconsin
http://www.crwoodturner.com/