Derek Andrews

Lewis Dodd wrote:
We are looking at re-vamping our club website.
What "free" or near "free" services exist out there to host a website? What
does your "non-profit" club use or how much do you pay for a web site?

There are some pretty good deals out there, depending on exactly what
you need, so unless you have zero funds for this, consider paying for a
host and domain name. I use blacksun.ca and 34sp.com for some of my
sites. I have also heard that 1and1.com is inexpensive.

If you really want free, rather than take the geocities or tripod route
with those annoying pop-up adverts etc, why not consider using a blog as
your website? You can set up team blogs at blogger.com, and because a
blog is essentially a content management system, it is quite easy for
less web savvy people to add content. I think you can even post content
by e-mail! So your chairman can have his say, the secretary and
treasurer can do their things, the events coordinator can post upcoming
events and a reporter could write about your meetings. It would just
need one person to be able to look after the template and permanent
links in the sidebar.

Here is a team blog that I have just set-up for a group I belong to:
http://artisans-announce.blogspot.com/
Its a marketing site rather than a club site, but it may give you some
ideas.

--
Derek Andrews, woodturner

http://www.seafoamwoodturning.com