RaZMaN

Default Newbie

I don't know how many people here are fimilar with the show on HGTV or
DIY (I'm not sure which) about woodturning. Anyway I have been
watching it for about 6 months now and I am very interested in
learning to do this. My problem is I am having trouble finding
anywhere in the St. Louis, MO area that has classes. I am sure they
are here I just can't find them. I was hoping someone here would know
of one or have an idea where I can look to find one. My next question
is about lathe's. I have seen these mini lathe's online and I was
wondering what you could really do with those. Are they worth it?
Any information you can give to someone wanting to learn more is
appricated. Thanks.
billh

"RaZMaN" wrote in message
I don't know how many people here are fimilar with the show on HGTV or
DIY (I'm not sure which) about woodturning. Anyway I have been
watching it for about 6 months now and I am very interested in
learning to do this. My problem is I am having trouble finding
anywhere in the St. Louis, MO area that has classes. I am sure they
are here I just can't find them. I was hoping someone here would know
of one or have an idea where I can look to find one. My next question
is about lathe's. I have seen these mini lathe's online and I was
wondering what you could really do with those. Are they worth it?
Any information you can give to someone wanting to learn more is
appricated. Thanks.

Try a local woodturning club. Have a look at the area club listings on the
American Association of Woodturners site for some possiblilities.

The 10" swing Jet mini-lathe is seen as an excellent starter lathe. There
are others as well like Delta, General International, Vicmarc etc

Bill

Dave in Fairfax

RaZMaN wrote:
I don't know how many people here are fimilar with the show on HGTV or
DIY (I'm not sure which) about woodturning. Anyway I have been
watching it for about 6 months now and I am very interested in
learning to do this. My problem is I am having trouble finding
anywhere in the St. Louis, MO area that has classes. I am sure they
are here I just can't find them. I was hoping someone here would know
of one or have an idea where I can look to find one. My next question
is about lathe's. I have seen these mini lathe's online and I was
wondering what you could really do with those. Are they worth it?
Any information you can give to someone wanting to learn more is
appricated. Thanks.

Before you decide what lathe you want to buy you need to have some
idea of what you want to do with it. Turning breaks down, in
general, to two basic shapes, stick or bowl, the types of turning
are spindle and facework. You should learn to do spindle work
first so you learn techniques. A small lathe will restrict the
size of things that you can turn, both in length and width. The
mini lathes do spindles about 15" long and maybe, 10 in diameter.
Take a ruler to you kitchen and you'll find that a 10" bowl isn't
very big.
The AAW has local chapters all over the place. Take a look at the
sig line at the end of this message and follow the AAW link. Go
to Local Chapters and look up MO, then find the ones in your
area. Join your local chapter, and the AAW, there will be lots of
people who'll be happy to help you.

Dave in Fairfax
--
Dave Leader
reply-to doesn't work
Barry N. Turner

I'm betting St. Louis has at least one Woodcraft store. They have all sorts
of classes on various aspects of woodworking..........including woodturning.
This is a good way to get an introduction to this craft.

Barry

"RaZMaN" wrote in message
I don't know how many people here are fimilar with the show on HGTV or
DIY (I'm not sure which) about woodturning. Anyway I have been
watching it for about 6 months now and I am very interested in
learning to do this. My problem is I am having trouble finding
anywhere in the St. Louis, MO area that has classes. I am sure they
are here I just can't find them. I was hoping someone here would know
of one or have an idea where I can look to find one. My next question
is about lathe's. I have seen these mini lathe's online and I was
wondering what you could really do with those. Are they worth it?
Any information you can give to someone wanting to learn more is
appricated. Thanks.

Bill Rubenstein

It is easy to find a club in St. Louis MO -- our meeting is tomorrow
(Sunday) at the Woodcraft store on Olive. It is at 1:00 and usually
lasts until 4:30 or so. We usually meet on the 4th Sunday of the month
but this month is an exception. Our web site is www.stlturners.org.
You are invited to the meeting. If you come, please introduce yourself
to me.

The Woodcraft store offers classes but there may be a better
alternative. For members of the club, we have a mentoring program. For
no cost, the more experienced members of the group offer free tutoring.

Further, the St. Louis area (actually O'Fallon MO) is the home of the
importer of the Omega Stubby lathes -- Stubby Lathe USA, Inc.

If you had asked at any of the woodworking stores in the area, you would
have found us. One of our members works part time at the Rockler store.
The owner of the store on N Lindberg (Wood n Shop) was a member for
years, etc.

BTW, I have only seen one of the turning shows in the DIY series -- the
one on making a bird house. I thought that there were lots of problems
with the show. Tools called by the wrong names, major parts of the
project (the house body was coopered) with no help at all on how to do
it and some poor tool technique demonstrated. Overall I'd give it a C-
at best.

Bill

RaZMaN wrote:
I don't know how many people here are fimilar with the show on HGTV or
DIY (I'm not sure which) about woodturning. Anyway I have been
watching it for about 6 months now and I am very interested in
learning to do this. My problem is I am having trouble finding
anywhere in the St. Louis, MO area that has classes. I am sure they
are here I just can't find them. I was hoping someone here would know
of one or have an idea where I can look to find one. My next question
is about lathe's. I have seen these mini lathe's online and I was
wondering what you could really do with those. Are they worth it?
Any information you can give to someone wanting to learn more is
appricated. Thanks.

RaZMaN

On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 01:58:44 GMT, Dave in Fairfax
wrote:

RaZMaN wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the information I checked out the website and found one in
the St. Louis area and have sent the person that runs it an email. I
love the AAW site. I just don't know how everyone doesn't want to
just sit there and look at the work that people have done with
woodturning. It seems amazing to me. Thanks again for the
information. You can always count on newsgroups having friendly
people willing to help.
RaZMaN

On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 19:39:31 -0500, "billh"
wrote:

"RaZMaN" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

The information on the Jet mini lathe is very appreciated because I
just had no idea if they were a good idea or not. Since I have never
done a woodturning before I can't invest the kind of money that is
needed to get a full size one (I guess that is what you call them).

RaZMaN

On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 22:15:56 -0600, "Barry N. Turner"
wrote:

I'm betting St. Louis has at least one Woodcraft store. They have all sorts
of classes on various aspects of woodworking..........including woodturning.
This is a good way to get an introduction to this craft.

Barry

"RaZMaN" wrote in message
.. .
I don't know how many people here are fimilar with the show on HGTV or
DIY (I'm not sure which) about woodturning. Anyway I have been
watching it for about 6 months now and I am very interested in
learning to do this. My problem is I am having trouble finding
anywhere in the St. Louis, MO area that has classes. I am sure they
are here I just can't find them. I was hoping someone here would know
of one or have an idea where I can look to find one. My next question
is about lathe's. I have seen these mini lathe's online and I was
wondering what you could really do with those. Are they worth it?
Any information you can give to someone wanting to learn more is
appricated. Thanks.

Barry,

Thanks for the response. I did not know that St. Louis had a
Woodcraft store but you were right they do and the is where the AAW
meets. I will give them a call and see what they offer. I will also
make sure that I post my first turning here for comments. Thanks
again.
RaZMaN

RaZMaN wrote:
I don't know how many people here are fimilar with the show on HGTV or
DIY (I'm not sure which) about woodturning. Anyway I have been
watching it for about 6 months now and I am very interested in
learning to do this. My problem is I am having trouble finding
anywhere in the St. Louis, MO area that has classes. I am sure they
are here I just can't find them. I was hoping someone here would know
of one or have an idea where I can look to find one. My next question
is about lathe's. I have seen these mini lathe's online and I was
wondering what you could really do with those. Are they worth it?
Any information you can give to someone wanting to learn more is
appricated. Thanks.

Bill

Well it is obviously past 1:00 but just barely so I think I am going
to run out there and try to catch some of it I hope that is OK. Guess
I will find out when I get there. Thanks looking forwarding to
meeting you of course by the time you read this..... well you get
it.
anne

The Jet mini lathe is excellent. I have been using nothing else for more
than two years and have only just graduated to something bigger. I won't be
getting rid of my Jet anytime soon though! It will take a bowl up to about 8
1/2", it's very quiet, it's made of cast iron so is very stable, and
changing the belt speed is easy. For a beginner, I would certainly recommend
it.
"RaZMaN" wrote in message
I don't know how many people here are fimilar with the show on HGTV or
DIY (I'm not sure which) about woodturning. Anyway I have been
watching it for about 6 months now and I am very interested in
learning to do this. My problem is I am having trouble finding
anywhere in the St. Louis, MO area that has classes. I am sure they
are here I just can't find them. I was hoping someone here would know
of one or have an idea where I can look to find one. My next question
is about lathe's. I have seen these mini lathe's online and I was
wondering what you could really do with those. Are they worth it?
Any information you can give to someone wanting to learn more is
appricated. Thanks.

RaZMaN

On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 20:02:19 GMT, "anne" wrote:

The Jet mini lathe is excellent. I have been using nothing else for more
than two years and have only just graduated to something bigger. I won't be
getting rid of my Jet anytime soon though! It will take a bowl up to about 8
1/2", it's very quiet, it's made of cast iron so is very stable, and
changing the belt speed is easy. For a beginner, I would certainly recommend
it.
"RaZMaN" wrote in message
.. .
I don't know how many people here are fimilar with the show on HGTV or
DIY (I'm not sure which) about woodturning. Anyway I have been
watching it for about 6 months now and I am very interested in
learning to do this. My problem is I am having trouble finding
anywhere in the St. Louis, MO area that has classes. I am sure they
are here I just can't find them. I was hoping someone here would know
of one or have an idea where I can look to find one. My next question
is about lathe's. I have seen these mini lathe's online and I was
wondering what you could really do with those. Are they worth it?
Any information you can give to someone wanting to learn more is
appricated. Thanks.

Anne

I would have to say I agree with you and what the others have said
about it. I went and looked at one today at Woodcraft and it was very
well built. Of course before I buy one I need to make sure that this
is something I really enjoy doing. Although a 8 1/2 bowl is rather
small it is perfect for what I would doing. I really enjoy giving
handmade gifts in lieu of purchased items. I think it just means more
and this will be perfect for that.