Darrell Feltmate

Default Clamps

I have had a couple of guitars dropped off to me for repair, a trade I
thought I had quit years ago. The repairs are going to require a few more
clamps than I currently have, essentially a few more flip clamps and some
bigger swing clamps. I know this is a wood turning group, but we all seem to
need clamps from time to time and I wonder if how to make them is worth a
web page? Any comments are appreciated. O by the way, I have small and large
flip clamps that came from scrap wood, swing clamps (those parallel wood jaw
things) that cost some all thread and a couple of nuts, small bar clamps
that cost $0.50 each or less, and engineer's clamps (a smaller version of
the swing clamp) for about a buck. Of course they do cost time.

--
God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate

mike

Darrell Feltmate wrote:
[...]

Darrell, I'm not sure how much depth and strength you need for the
clamps.One easy and effective way to make clamps is from plastic pipe.
Cut 3/4" wide sections from a length of pipe. Saw thru one surface,
pull apart slightly and you will see that the pipe will spring back.
You will probably have to take another end off.This depends on the
size of the pipe and the thickness of the work being clamped.I have a
couple dozen made from 2" PVC pipe and a few more from various larger
sizes.I round off the sharp edge to prevent marring the work. I also
use these to clamp mitered moldings, I bore a pilot hole on each cut
end, insert a panhead drywall screw. The screws leaves small holes, the
screw points keep the clamp from slipping on the surface.Unless the
moldings are at eye level it usually not neccessary to fill them.
I hope this may help,
mike

Darrell Feltmate

Mike
Been there and done that and plastic pipe clamps certainly have a place in
the shop as well the others. There are at least three rules with clamps:
1) there are never enough clamps at hand
2) there is always a different clamp that would work better
3) when gluing up the clamp you need is just a little farther away than your
hand can reach

--
God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate

Harry B. Pye

... we all seem to need clamps from time to time and I wonder if how to
make them is worth a web page?

I think it would be a worthwhile addition to your already excellent web
site. And, since it is your site, you can put anything you like there! :-)

I think most of us truly appreciate the work you have put into the site and
the help we have received from it.

George

"Darrell Feltmate" wrote in message
I have had a couple of guitars dropped off to me for repair, a trade I
thought I had quit years ago. The repairs are going to require a few more
clamps than I currently have, essentially a few more flip clamps and some
bigger swing clamps. I know this is a wood turning group, but we all seem

need clamps from time to time and I wonder if how to make them is worth a
web page? Any comments are appreciated. O by the way, I have small and

large
flip clamps that came from scrap wood, swing clamps (those parallel wood

jaw
things) that cost some all thread and a couple of nuts, small bar clamps
that cost $0.50 each or less, and engineer's clamps (a smaller version of
the swing clamp) for about a buck. Of course they do cost time.

--

Don't know precisely what you're doing, but when the kids at school were
doing dulcimers we did a lot with fixtures and wedges. I suppose a

Mike Paulson

Hi Darrell,

Yes, please add that to your website. I'd love to see what you have come
up with. I might have one or two of my own to contribute if you don't
happen to cover it.

peace,

-mike paulson, fort collins, co
Leo Van Der Loo

Hi Darrell

Love to see someone else's idea's any time, even if I never make a clamp
like that, there is something to be learned, and I'm all for that,
almost everything one does to cobble something together is improvising
or using different ideas, something you've seen plus this or that might
make a new idea or better way to do something.
And yes I can use some clamps, seems the ones I have never reach far
enough or hold tight.
As for time, I rather use some time to make something useful than shovel
some more snow.G

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo