Ron Williams

Default Show this weekend - gloat!

Hi, all,

On Saturday, I'm to set up at a local coffee house for a one-man-show of my
stuff - mostly lidded boxes, some vessels and bowls. This is my second show
there, and you can't ask for a better site. Lots of traffic, they let you
sell what's displayed, but keep it all there until the show ends. They
collect the money for sales, and they charge no commission! Last time, I
sold all but 3 pieces out of the 35 or so I brought. That time, however, I
was there in late October to early November, so I'm sure some of the sales
were for presents.

I asked the manager if she intended to get my name in the entertainment
section of the local paper. She said yes, but if I had any photos, I could
e-mail them to the feature writer. I did, and now he wants to bring a
photographer and do a piece while I set up!

To top it off, when I was there to scope out the site, I saw a notice for a
meeting for a new co-op art group starting in an old log cabin in town. I
went and signed up. I can have a running display of several of my pieces
all summer (its a touristy place), they also charge no commission, but
they'd want an hour or two of my time a month working there. In my other
live, I'm a teacher, so I'd have plenty of time then.

OK, sorry... I love turning, but I need to get them out of the house before
my spouse says, "Ooh, another round thing!" I enjoy the cash infusion for
my hobby needs from the sales, but I get the biggest kick out of watching
people look at my stuff. So, if you're in the Fargo-Moorhead area in the
next three weeks, stop by Atomic Coffee in Moorhead. I'll be the one in the
corner with the stupid grin...

Ron Williams
Minn-Dak Woodturners
Moorhead. MN

Jo-Anne & Edward Tabachek

Congrats on your show, Ron. Post up some pictures of the turnings and/or
the show.

George

"Ron Williams" wrote in message
SNIP
To top it off, when I was there to scope out the site, I saw a notice for

meeting for a new co-op art group starting in an old log cabin in town. I
went and signed up. I can have a running display of several of my pieces
all summer (its a touristy place), they also charge no commission, but
they'd want an hour or two of my time a month working there. In my other
live, I'm a teacher, so I'd have plenty of time then.

SNIP

Used to have a co-op setup here. Same as everywhere in life, there were
people who wanted to do things, and those who wanted to be someone. Don't
need to tell you who watched the store.

I had my summer hours and then some, but I also had a sign for the door that
said "Ambulance Call, temporarily closed" that I could quickly flip when the
dispatcher called. I had a lot of free time even at work, you see.

Used to bring my shaving horse and spoons in from the ready room to pass the
time, which held folks in to watch. If you do something similar, it can
help pass the time and allow you to teach a bit too.