Default Air Compressor

Hello folks, need some advise. I want to get a small compressor to blow
air out of my turnings and use a small air sander. I have seen a Porter
Cable pancake one that comes with a brad nailer. It has received good
reviews for use with nailers but nothing about continuous/short burst
use. My wife will also use it when with a mini air grinder for her
scrollsaw/intarsia stuff.. Any advise will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Guy

George

Sanders and grinders have a high air requirement. Either a fast compressor
or a large tank, with good sense favoring the combination. I use a tube and
the lungs to clear insides of turnings, though my 20gallon will do a
couple/three minutes of air grinder before it starts to slow.

No way a 3-4gal pancake is going to do it.

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello folks, need some advise. I want to get a small compressor to blow
air out of my turnings and use a small air sander. I have seen a Porter
Cable pancake one that comes with a brad nailer. It has received good
reviews for use with nailers but nothing about continuous/short burst
use. My wife will also use it when with a mini air grinder for her
scrollsaw/intarsia stuff.. Any advise will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Guy

Barry N. Turner

For about $379, you can get an upright compressor from Home Depot or Lowe's
(made by Campbell-Hausfield) with a 60 gallon tank. It's rated for 6 HP,
but it's probably more like 2 or 3 actual HP.

The pancake compressors are just so cute! I looked at several this past
summer and was very tempted to buy one. I was looking at a Dewalt/Emglo for
about $329.

For about $50 more, I got a real compressor that will handle most anything I
want it to do, spray finish and run most air tools. I use a blow gun a lot
to clear chips off my lathe or to clear hollow turnings. My compressor runs
only occasionally. Much better than one of the little ones kicking on every
time I use the blowgun.

The small portable/pancake/stack tank models are primarily intended to power
brad guns and nail guns and they do that very well. For much else, you need
a bigger compressor. If you are using a mini air grinder, similar to a
dental drill, a small compressor could be enough. Just check the tool's air
consumption requirements and buy the compressor that you need. It's not a
real problem to buy more compressor than you need, but the reverse of that
can be a real pain.

Barry

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello folks, need some advise. I want to get a small compressor to blow
air out of my turnings and use a small air sander. I have seen a Porter
Cable pancake one that comes with a brad nailer. It has received good
reviews for use with nailers but nothing about continuous/short burst
use. My wife will also use it when with a mini air grinder for her
scrollsaw/intarsia stuff.. Any advise will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Guy

woodgrinder

The Husky brand sold by Home Deopt is made by DeVilbiss, which is OK in
my book.

Which is why that's what I got.

800+ sq ft of wood flooring later, I'm still happy with it.

Got the 25 gal upright, with the accessory kit for under $300.
John
Maker of Fine Wood Chips and Sawdust

Barry N. Turner

I got the Husky brand alright, but I'm almost positive mine is made by
Campbell-Hausfield. Their factory is in Leitchfield, KY, about 50 miles
away from me. Mine is red. The exact same compressor is sold by Lowe's,
but it is blue. I think perhaps one manufacturer will make compressors for
several different brands. I looked at a Porter Cable, not sure who makes
it. It's compressor was aluminum. Mine is cast iron. That's what sold me,
quieter, longer life. I hope, anyway.

Barry

"woodgrinder" wrote in message
oups.com...
The Husky brand sold by Home Deopt is made by DeVilbiss, which is OK in
my book.

Which is why that's what I got.

800+ sq ft of wood flooring later, I'm still happy with it.

Got the 25 gal upright, with the accessory kit for under $300.
John
Maker of Fine Wood Chips and Sawdust

woodgrinder

I suppose it may depend on the model. After I got it, I called Home
Depot and asked about mine, who said DeVilbiss made it, and I called
DeVilbiss tech support, who took the model and S/N of my unit and
confirmed that they made it. After doing 6 years of computer phone
support, I like to check out the support for things before I commit to
keeping them.

If it was C-H, I would avoid it. I had a C-H HVLP unit literally melt
down once. Home Depot replaced it, but that left a bad impression.
OK, maybe I'm picky. All right, doggone it, I *am* picky. I'm not
rich enough to throw my money away on junk.

Returning to the original poster's question: pancake compressors *are*
portable, they *are* relatively inexpensive, but they just don't have
enough storage capacity for paint spray or high-volume tools. They are
great for jobsite nailers and the like.

I can't give you a simple "get this or get that" answer. Think about
how you will use it in the future, and consider the long-term cost.
Will you ever spray paint, or other finish? How much space do you
have?

I myself opted for the 25 gal upright, because floor space is limited,
but I DO spray, and I also planned to use high-volume air tools. But
in your case, will life end because you choose a tool that someone else
might not? Naw, didn't think so. You could even be creative, like
Barry (below) and use add-ons. But you might want the whole schmeer at
once. What works best for you?

I think you've gotten a lot different viewpoints and options. My
advice is to hunt down a gool deal and get the best buy. Then post a
gloat!

John
Maker of Fine Wood chips and Sawdust

Barry N. Turner

Well, it was definitely Campbell-Hausfield that made mine. I double-checked
today at lunchtime. The compressor on mine is cast iron instead of aluminum
as many of the other brands are. That was a selling point for me.

No, you're not being picky. I don't blame you for avoiding a brand you've
had a bad experience with. I have a problem throwing money away, too. I'd
rather pay more for something........as long as I actually get more. What
actually happened with your earlier unit?

Barry

PS I figure if I get a lemon, I'll just drive up to the
Campbell-Hausfield factory and camp out until they make it right!
So far I've been well pleased. Of course, my unit probably has 10 hours
on it, too.

[...]

Bruce Ferguson

Barry, is that 60 gal compressor 220v ac???? for me that is an issue as
there is only 110v in the garage opps shop. I have wondered the same thing
the original poster. Seems to me Home Depot has a 25 gal with accessories
for around $300. You know how it is, I won't be useing air tools and 6
months later you are trying them out. Thanks for the info.

Bruce
"Barry N. Turner" wrote in message
[...]

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello folks, need some advise. I want to get a small compressor to blow
air out of my turnings and use a small air sander. I have seen a Porter
Cable pancake one that comes with a brad nailer. It has received good
reviews for use with nailers but nothing about continuous/short burst
use. My wife will also use it when with a mini air grinder for her
scrollsaw/intarsia stuff.. Any advise will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Guy

Barry N. Turner

Yes, my compressor is 220 volt. For me, that wasn't a problem. Home Depot
does have several smaller (but still larger than a pancake) compressors that
operate on 110.

Barry

"Bruce Ferguson" wrote in message
[...]

oups.com...