Millers

Default Chuck adapter

Got a Jet mini-lathe for Christmas, and now have a quandry. I have two
Oneway chucks that fit my Nova 3000, and don't really want to buy
another chuck. What I'd like to get is an adapter that will fit over
the spindle on the mini lathe and which my chucks can then screw into.
Sorta like a helicoil.

Not sure where to get one.

TIA...

....Kevin
--
Kevin Miller
http://www.alaska.net/~atftb
Walt Novinger

Millers wrote:

Got a Jet mini-lathe for Christmas, and now have a quandry. I have two
Oneway chucks that fit my Nova 3000, and don't really want to buy
another chuck. What I'd like to get is an adapter that will fit over
the spindle on the mini lathe and which my chucks can then screw into.
Sorta like a helicoil.

Not sure where to get one.

TIA...

...Kevin

I sell both Jet and Nova lathes, as well as Oneway, and do not believe that
there is such an adaptor commercially available. If you look at http:/
www.oneway.on.ca/chucks/adaptors.htm, and go to the bottom of the page,
you'll see that Oneway offer to make special adaptors...perhaps this will
help.

Walt
billh

"Walt Novinger" wrote in message
m...
Millers wrote:

Got a Jet mini-lathe for Christmas, and now have a quandry. I have two
Oneway chucks that fit my Nova 3000, and don't really want to buy
another chuck. What I'd like to get is an adapter that will fit over
the spindle on the mini lathe and which my chucks can then screw into.
Sorta like a helicoil.

Not sure where to get one.

TIA...

...Kevin

I sell both Jet and Nova lathes, as well as Oneway, and do not believe
that
there is such an adaptor commercially available. If you look at http:/
www.oneway.on.ca/chucks/adaptors.htm, and go to the bottom of the page,
you'll see that Oneway offer to make special adaptors...perhaps this will
help.

Walt

what am I missing? Why can't he just buy the 1"x8 insert for the Oneway
chucks and replace the insert for the Nova with it?
Billh

Paulco

You should be able to get an adapter.
Down here in Australia there is about 10 different shaft threads so
when you buy a chuck you specify the shaft thread on your lathe and
the chuck is supplied with an adapter to suit.

If look under chucks on this site http://www.vicmarc.com/ you will see
the adapter, although I guess getting one from Australia would be a
last resort but at least you'll know exactly what you're looking for.
Cheers
Paul

On Sun, 26 Dec 2004 16:45:28 -0900, Millers wrote:

Got a Jet mini-lathe for Christmas, and now have a quandry. I have two
Oneway chucks that fit my Nova 3000, and don't really want to buy
another chuck. What I'd like to get is an adapter that will fit over
the spindle on the mini lathe and which my chucks can then screw into.
Sorta like a helicoil.

Not sure where to get one.

TIA...

...Kevin

Unless otherwise stated all references to location refer to Western Australia

Both Best Tools and Craft Supply (and probably others as well) sell
spindle adapters. You'd just screw it onto your Jet spindle and then
be able to screw your OneWay chucks on. Much faster and easier than
going into the chucks to change adapters.
They're about $50 to $60.
Tom Weber in Merritt Island, Florida.

Walt Novinger

Millers wrote:

[...]

My impression from his original post is that he wanted to be able to
conveniently switch the chucks from one lathe to another. Changing the
adapters isn't really very convenient compared to having the same thread on
both lathes, hence my suggestion.

Walt
Barry N. Turner

He could. Apparently, he doesn't want the hassle of changing the insert
each time he changes chucks. Craft Supplies and Packard sell spindle
adapters that would allow him to simply screw his chucks on the Mini with
changing the insert in the chuck.

Barry

Millers wrote:

[...]

Millers

billh wrote:
what am I missing? Why can't he just buy the 1"x8 insert for the Oneway
chucks and replace the insert for the Nova with it?
Billh

Because I still have the Nova and don't want to swap the inserts. I
just want to screw the chuck on, turn, take it off and be able to screw
it on the Nova w/o any hassle. It would be quite handy to turn the 1x8
spindle on the mini (or whatever size it is, haven't looked yet) to a 1
1/4x8...

....Kevin
--
Kevin Miller
http://www.alaska.net/~atftb
mac davis

On Sun, 26 Dec 2004 20:58:25 -0500, "billh"
wrote:

"Walt Novinger" wrote in message
om...
Millers wrote:

[...]

you can, Bill, I have one coming this week..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

try here :
http://www.thewoodtradesman.com
they have spindle adapters

Eli

mac davis

On Mon, 27 Dec 2004 07:27:33 -0600, "Barry N. Turner"
wrote:

that's usually true, barry.. but in this case, the adapter is from
Oneway, not a cheap version...
I just couldn't see buying some kind of adapter for $50 or 60 to let
me use it on the Shopsmith once in a while without having to use 4
screws to change adapters on the chuck...
OTOH, if I was doing production work, I'd have multiple chucks and
adapt all the lathes to one arbor type/size... because then it would
be a waste of money to NOT get them standardized to keep up with
customer demand..

Just remember this: "If you try to economize, it's gonna cost you!"

Barry

"mac davis" wrote in message
.. .
On 26 Dec 2004 18:38:58 -0800, wrote:

Both Best Tools and Craft Supply (and probably others as well) sell
spindle adapters. You'd just screw it onto your Jet spindle and then
be able to screw your OneWay chucks on. Much faster and easier than
going into the chucks to change adapters.
They're about $50 to $60.
Tom Weber in Merritt Island, Florida.

now the $20 for the chuck adapter doesn't sound bad at all!

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Barry N. Turner

Well, sometimes it's true. But, I fully understand. Probably the cheapest
way is just to buy another insert for your other lathe and switch them back
and forth. The spindle adapter would likely be more convenient. you could
put a screw driver bit in your cordless drill and speed up the process of
switching inserts a bit.

Barry

wrote:

that's usually true, barry.. but in this case, the adapter is from
Oneway, not a cheap version...
I just couldn't see buying some kind of adapter for $50 or 60 to let
me use it on the Shopsmith once in a while without having to use 4
screws to change adapters on the chuck...
OTOH, if I was doing production work, I'd have multiple chucks and
adapt all the lathes to one arbor type/size... because then it would
be a waste of money to NOT get them standardized to keep up with
customer demand..

Just remember this: "If you try to economize, it's gonna cost you!"

Barry

"mac davis" wrote in message
.. .
On 26 Dec 2004 18:38:58 -0800, wrote:

Both Best Tools and Craft Supply (and probably others as well) sell
spindle adapters. You'd just screw it onto your Jet spindle and then
be able to screw your OneWay chucks on. Much faster and easier than
going into the chucks to change adapters.
They're about $50 to $60.
Tom Weber in Merritt Island, Florida.

now the $20 for the chuck adapter doesn't sound bad at all!

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Millers

wrote:

that's usually true, barry.. but in this case, the adapter is from
Oneway, not a cheap version...
I just couldn't see buying some kind of adapter for $50 or 60 to let
me use it on the Shopsmith once in a while without having to use 4
screws to change adapters on the chuck...
OTOH, if I was doing production work, I'd have multiple chucks and
adapt all the lathes to one arbor type/size... because then it would
be a waste of money to NOT get them standardized to keep up with
customer demand..

Just remember this: "If you try to economize, it's gonna cost you!"

Barry

"mac davis" wrote in message
. ..

On 26 Dec 2004 18:38:58 -0800, wrote:

Both Best Tools and Craft Supply (and probably others as well) sell
spindle adapters. You'd just screw it onto your Jet spindle and then
be able to screw your OneWay chucks on. Much faster and easier than
going into the chucks to change adapters.
They're about $50 to $60.
Tom Weber in Merritt Island, Florida.

now the $20 for the chuck adapter doesn't sound bad at all!

I looked on the sites suggested, but didn't see the adapter. Can you
point me to a specific page?

Thanks...

--
Kevin Miller
http://www.alaska.net/~atftb

mac davis

On Mon, 27 Dec 2004 19:45:28 -0600, "Barry N. Turner"
wrote:

In my case, I bought the Talon chuck for the Shopsmith, the only lathe
I had, or thought I'd ever have... and every time I used the lathe, I
gave up my drill press/router...
Getting the Jet mini for Christmas changed my turning, so hopefully,
I'll rarely need to put the chuck on the SS..

Well, sometimes it's true. But, I fully understand. Probably the cheapest
way is just to buy another insert for your other lathe and switch them back
and forth. The spindle adapter would likely be more convenient. you could
put a screw driver bit in your cordless drill and speed up the process of
switching inserts a bit.

Barry

.. .
wrote:

that's usually true, barry.. but in this case, the adapter is from
Oneway, not a cheap version...
I just couldn't see buying some kind of adapter for $50 or 60 to let
me use it on the Shopsmith once in a while without having to use 4
screws to change adapters on the chuck...
OTOH, if I was doing production work, I'd have multiple chucks and
adapt all the lathes to one arbor type/size... because then it would
be a waste of money to NOT get them standardized to keep up with
customer demand..

Just remember this: "If you try to economize, it's gonna cost you!"

Barry

"mac davis" wrote in message
.. .
On 26 Dec 2004 18:38:58 -0800, wrote:

Both Best Tools and Craft Supply (and probably others as well) sell
spindle adapters. You'd just screw it onto your Jet spindle and then
be able to screw your OneWay chucks on. Much faster and easier than
going into the chucks to change adapters.
They're about $50 to $60.
Tom Weber in Merritt Island, Florida.

now the $20 for the chuck adapter doesn't sound bad at all!

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Allyn Vaughn

On Mon, 27 Dec 2004 16:54:56 -0900, Millers wrote:

snip

I looked on the sites suggested, but didn't see the adapter. Can you
point me to a specific page?

Thanks...

try this:

http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/cg...n&key=191-5240

Allyn
mac davis

On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 21:58:52 GMT, Allyn Vaughn
wrote:

On Mon, 27 Dec 2004 16:54:56 -0900, Millers wrote:

snip

I looked on the sites suggested, but didn't see the adapter. Can you
point me to a specific page?

Thanks...

try this:

http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/cg...n&key=191-5240

Allyn

I noticed that Oneway had a pretty good assortment of adapters...

they even had one that converted the Shopsmith to a 1-8, which I
thought was a little strange..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
billh

wrote:

On Mon, 27 Dec 2004 16:54:56 -0900, Millers wrote:

snip

I looked on the sites suggested, but didn't see the adapter. Can you
point me to a specific page?

Thanks...

try this:

http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/cg...n&key=191-5240

Allyn

I noticed that Oneway had a pretty good assortment of adapters...

they even had one that converted the Shopsmith to a 1-8, which I
thought was a little strange..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

1"x 8TPI is probably the most common lathe thread in use. Lots of gizmos you
can buy with that thread.
billh

mac davis

On Fri, 7 Jan 2005 16:17:10 -0500, "billh"
wrote:

I noticed that Oneway had a pretty good assortment of adapters...

they even had one that converted the Shopsmith to a 1-8, which I
thought was a little strange..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

1"x 8TPI is probably the most common lathe thread in use. Lots of gizmos you
can buy with that thread.
billh

yeah, but the idea of the SS is changing accessories with that magic
allan wrench..