Eddie Munster

Default Skew vs Beading tool.

For making beads I am getting proficient with a skew.
But I see these beading tools for sale. They look like they would only
scrape a bead? What is the scoop on this?

If they just leave a scraped surface, why bother, I like the cut surface
left by the skew.

Anybody have any insight into this mystery tool?

John

DJ Delorie

Assuming you're talking about a real beading tool, and not the
scraper-with-bead-shaped-cutouts tool...

Beading tools are designed to make beads. You use the edge just like
you'd use the skew's edge, but in theory, the geometry of the beading
tool's shaft helps you roll the bead more easily, if the bead is the
same size as the shaft. I often use my parting tool as a tiny beading
tool this way.

Think of it as a short fat skew that isn't skewed ;-)

The scraper-with-bead-shaped-cutouts tool is for when speed and
consistency are more important than surface quality, or for people who
haven't mastered beads with a skew and would rather do other things,
but need beads anyway.
Ray Sandusky

John

Keep using the skew - the beading tool is good, but the skew is better -
plus it keeps you form being afraid of using the skew

ray

"Eddie Munster" wrote in message
For making beads I am getting proficient with a skew.
But I see these beading tools for sale. They look like they would only
scrape a bead? What is the scoop on this?

If they just leave a scraped surface, why bother, I like the cut surface
left by the skew.

Anybody have any insight into this mystery tool?

John

George

Other thing is, as you roll the beading tool , you don't have a piece of it
hanging in the way over the bead waiting for a catch. Think of it as a
chisel. Now think of how handy a 1" wide one would be to run spindles.
Imagine being able to determine the degree of skew for the cut on your own!

"DJ Delorie" wrote in message

Assuming you're talking about a real beading tool, and not the
scraper-with-bead-shaped-cutouts tool...

Beading tools are designed to make beads. You use the edge just like
you'd use the skew's edge, but in theory, the geometry of the beading
tool's shaft helps you roll the bead more easily, if the bead is the
same size as the shaft. I often use my parting tool as a tiny beading
tool this way.

Think of it as a short fat skew that isn't skewed ;-)

The scraper-with-bead-shaped-cutouts tool is for when speed and
consistency are more important than surface quality, or for people who
haven't mastered beads with a skew and would rather do other things,
but need beads anyway.

Bjarte Runderheim

"Ray Sandusky" skrev i melding
John

Keep using the skew - the beading tool is good, but the skew is better -
plus it keeps you form being afraid of using the skew

ray

Absolutely agree!

I use to say, crutches might help everybody to a more secure walk,
but some like it quick and elegant!-)

Bjarte

Eddie Munster

DJ Delorie wrote:

Think of it as a short fat skew that isn't skewed ;-)

Thanks to all for the replies.

Well my problem is it doesn't look like it can be very sharp.

Does it leave a nice cut surface? Or does it just bludgeon out a bead
and then it needs to be sanded lots?

John

billh

After buying all sorts of specialty tools (not only for turning) and
finding that you can use a regular tool for the same purpose with a bit of
practice I now avoid them. Not saying there isn't a place for them but they
are only good for one thing and often they just sit on the shelf.
Billh

"Ray Sandusky" wrote in message
John

Keep using the skew - the beading tool is good, but the skew is better -
plus it keeps you form being afraid of using the skew

ray

"Eddie Munster" wrote in message
For making beads I am getting proficient with a skew.
But I see these beading tools for sale. They look like they would only
scrape a bead? What is the scoop on this?

If they just leave a scraped surface, why bother, I like the cut surface
left by the skew.

Anybody have any insight into this mystery tool?

John

Ken Moon

"DJ Delorie" wrote in message

Assuming you're talking about a real beading tool, and not the
scraper-with-bead-shaped-cutouts tool...

Beading tools are designed to make beads. You use the edge just like
you'd use the skew's edge, but in theory, the geometry of the beading
tool's shaft helps you roll the bead more easily, if the bead is the
same size as the shaft. I often use my parting tool as a tiny beading
tool this way.

Think of it as a short fat skew that isn't skewed ;-)

Hi,
A bedan can be used for this. It works like a skew, but, IMHO, at a better
working angle. You can use a 1/4-1/2 inch beveled chisel as a bedan to see
if you like it (or permanently).

Ken Moon
Webberville, TX