Rich

Default newbie lathe motor question

Hi, pardon my ignorance, but I have recently acquired an old Boice-Crane
lathe that doesn't have a motor. Any suggestions for an appropriate motor?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Rich

Ecnerwal

In article ,
"Rich" wrote:

Hi, pardon my ignorance, but I have recently acquired an old Boice-Crane
lathe that doesn't have a motor. Any suggestions for an appropriate motor?

Depending on your available funds, either a relatively expensive
Variable Frequency Drive (VFD) and 3 phase motor, or a relatively
inexpensive DC variable speed ($0-$50 depending on the used tradmill
market in your area, and or niceness of people at the recycling
center/transfer station). DC industrial motors with industrial speed
controllers are near enough the cost of a VFD/3 phase setup that you
might as well go with the 3 phase setup if you don't want to go with the
surplus treadmill motors/controllers. Divide the treadmill motor's hp in
half or so to get a more realistic number, IME.

George

Depends on the swing. If it's a 10" or less (5"diameter swing), a half
horse is probably enough. Used to be considered pretty powerful. At 12"
you could easily go a full HP, but 3/4 is certainly adequate. Fourteen is
for sure a horse.

Variable speed is all the rage, but it's far from necessary. Look at your
cone pulleys and order a match from Grainger or such. 1725 RPM motors are
reasonably priced, sometimes free in other people's garages. You can
compute by pulley ratio times motor rated RPM to find out what you've got in
estimated speed.

Your tool presentation is far more important than rotation speed in
determining your results, and any lathe you migrate to will probably have a
motor of its own, so learn to turn on the cheap motor and put your money in
the other, more important, accessories.

"Rich" wrote in message
Hi, pardon my ignorance, but I have recently acquired an old Boice-Crane
lathe that doesn't have a motor. Any suggestions for an appropriate

motor?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Rich

Bill Rubenstein

Or...

Chuck Woodruff is a retired engineer who always has a booth at the AAW Symposium. He mates
motors and vfd-s which he buys off-price, he knows a lot about these things and he can
probably fix you right up at a decent price. I'd stay away from treadmill motors myself.

Email or or call 206 723-8487

Bill

In article ,
says...
See
www.dealerselectric.com

"Rich" wrote in message
Hi, pardon my ignorance, but I have recently acquired an old Boice-Crane
lathe that doesn't have a motor. Any suggestions for an appropriate motor?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Rich

william_b_noble

get a washing machine motor - usually you can get them for free - 1/4 or 1/3
HP - that will get you started. later on you can decide if you want
variable speed, or a better lathe, or whatever. I use a 1/4 hp washing
machine motor on my Nova mini lathe, and I have a 2 hp industrial TEFC motor
with a VFD on my Stubby lathe (and a non TEFC industrial motor and VFD on my
logan metal lathe).
The washing machine motor will be fine to start with - you don't need
anything fancy.

bill N

"Rich" wrote in message
Hi, pardon my ignorance, but I have recently acquired an old Boice-Crane
lathe that doesn't have a motor. Any suggestions for an appropriate

motor?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Rich

Arch

Hi Rich, Welcome to a great hobby and a worldwide friendly and helpful
ng.

I agree with Bill about using discarded fractional HP appliance motors
for smaller lathes. Also they can be used to drive flex shafts and by
adding cheap arbors and/or jacobs chucks or by driving polishing heads
they make cheap and useful grinders, disc sanders, buffers, horizontal
drills etc. Heating and cooling contractors are another source for free
motors. I prefer motors from discarded squirrel cage fans because the
frames are better suited for most turning shop purposes, are easily
reversed and both 110 and 220 volt types are available.

Have fun and be sure to join in and share your turning life with us. We
can use your fresh perspectives.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

Rich

Thanks to all for great suggestions. Definitely going to start with the low
budget ideas until I have some idea of what I'm doing. Only have 110 in the
gargare so will start small. Thanks again.
Rich