Ecnerwal

In article ,
"Rich" wrote:

Hi, pardon my ignorance, but I have recently acquired an old Boice-Crane
lathe that doesn't have a motor. Any suggestions for an appropriate motor?

Depending on your available funds, either a relatively expensive
Variable Frequency Drive (VFD) and 3 phase motor, or a relatively
inexpensive DC variable speed ($0-$50 depending on the used tradmill
market in your area, and or niceness of people at the recycling
center/transfer station). DC industrial motors with industrial speed
controllers are near enough the cost of a VFD/3 phase setup that you
might as well go with the 3 phase setup if you don't want to go with the
surplus treadmill motors/controllers. Divide the treadmill motor's hp in
half or so to get a more realistic number, IME.