Arch

Default Turning ghosts, real or imagined?

The recent All Hallows Eve celebration got me to musing about
woodturning ghosts and if they really exist. I've heard ghost stories
about them, but I've never seen one lurking in the shadows of any
turning studio-shop. This is not about the fuzz outlined on off-center
blanks, it's about _invisible artisans who begin or finish the turned
art of better known turners. Do these _invisible ghosts exist? If so, do
they raise questions of ethics and authenticity? Do they endanger a
fledgling art?

I emphasize 'invisible' because this is not about collaborations or
occasional production runs in smaller shops or in similar situations
where the assistance is 'up front' and usual. Interns 'close up' for
prominent surgeons, bodies are 'added' to heads painted by elite
portrait painters and designated hitters stand in for pitchers. Ghost
writers are legion. I asume there's no ethical problem when assistence
is openly proclaimed, but what about signing a piece of wood art that is
finished by someone else or the form is a mere piece of canvas
manufactured elsewhere?

I am no ethicist and I admit to being naive and uninformed re the rules
of behavior in the art business; even more so in the emerging arena of
turned wood art. That caveat aside, I think that openly acknowledging
ghost turners is key to propriety and this elevates the practice of
woodturning. What do you think?

Turn to Safety, Arch

Fortiter,

Steve Wolfe

I've heard ghost stories
about them, but I've never seen one lurking in the shadows of any
turning studio-shop. This is not about the fuzz outlined on off-center
blanks, it's about _invisible artisans who begin or finish the turned
art of better known turners.

If they're out there, they're more than welcome to come finish a few of my
mediocre pieces. : )

steve

Arch

Thank you for your response Steve. I doubt that you would see nothing
wrong in signing and marketing the pieces as your own work. I think that
you are probably just being facetious and poking fun at my raising what
very well may not be a problem for the future of turned wood art.

Actually, I had hoped my musing might merit some attention and attract
some discussion. Like the old bodgers, my musings may have about run
their course, but I hope you will follow up on your comment because I
would really like to know how you feel about ghost turners. Thanks
again.

Turn to Safety, Arch

Fortiter,

Tom Storey

I carve the 'odd' woodspirit Arch and I'm sure my hands are 'guided' by
those spirits. Now, if I could just find a medium with talent......

Tom

--
Remove the 'p' from 'shaw' to e-mail me.
"Arch" wrote in message
[...]

Steve Wolfe

Thank you for your response Steve. I doubt that you would see nothing
wrong in signing and marketing the pieces as your own work. I think that
you are probably just being facetious and poking fun at my raising what
very well may not be a problem for the future of turned wood art.

Yep, I'm just having fun. If one of the "ghosts" did, indeed finish a
piece for me, then the problem (aside from the moral questions) would be the
next time I was expected to perform to that caliber!

steve

william_b_noble

holy twirling ectoplasm Batman!!! how did he ever mount that ghost to the
faceplate? And check out those transparent shavings!!!! Bam! holy catch,
he's outta here !!!!

Glynda Moon

"Arch" wrote in message
The recent All Hallows Eve celebration got me to musing about
woodturning ghosts and if they really exist. I've heard ghost stories
about them, but I've never seen one lurking in the shadows of any
turning studio-shop.

=========================

Arch,
"Ghosts" may or may not be real, but I'm convinced that "gremlins come into
my work area and play havoc with my perfection!

Ken Moon
Webberville, TX

Arch

My post was either too obtuse or too frivolous to be understood. Yep, it
is the moral question that I was musing about. I thank you all for your
comments, however the ghosts I had in mind are excellent but mostly
unknown turners; journeymen that do some or most of the turning of work
that's farmed out to them then signed and sold by a busy high profile
wood artist as his/her original work. By 'finishing' I meant
'completing', not just sanding, oiling etc. a completed piece.

Have any of you competent turners ever been approached by a turning
luminary to be his/her ghost turner in the same sense as a paid ghost
writer? No names mentioned of course, but make no mistake it does
happen. This practice may be acceptable and harmless. I just wondered if
you thought it might impact the public's perception of woodturning as an
emerging art.

Turn to Safety, Arch

Fortiter,

George

The old masters had their "studios" where the grunts and wannabes took away
a lot of the marble or painted the backgrounds. We still call them artists.

Since art is a personal feeling, should cut both ways.