Keith Young

Default Tailstock drilling

Hi

What is the part called and where would i look to equip my tailstock so it
can accept a drill bit.

Newbie
Keith

Jacobs Chuck. Search on 'jacobs chuck' at www.woodcraft.com

You'll need to know the Morse Taper size of your tailstock. Most likely a
MT2 or a MT1.

LD
Leo Lichtman

"Lobby Dosser" wrote: Jacobs Chuck. Search on 'jacobs chuck' at
www.woodcraft.com (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^
That's probably the best answer, but there are two other ways you can go.
Knowing the Morse taper number for yo9ur tailstock, you can get drill bits
with that taper on the shank. The main advantage is that they use up less
of the space between the spindle and tailstock, which could matter if you
are drilling into the end of a long spindle. It is also possible to buy
collets with a Morse taper to fit your lathe, on the outside, and a bore to
fit a certain drill diameter on the inside. This has the advantage that you
can use a drillset you already have.

Lobby Dosser

"Leo Lichtman" wrote:

"Lobby Dosser" wrote: Jacobs Chuck. Search on 'jacobs chuck' at
www.woodcraft.com (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^
That's probably the best answer, but there are two other ways you can
go. Knowing the Morse taper number for yo9ur tailstock, you can get
drill bits with that taper on the shank. The main advantage is that
they use up less of the space between the spindle and tailstock, which
could matter if you are drilling into the end of a long spindle. It
is also possible to buy collets with a Morse taper to fit your lathe,
on the outside, and a bore to fit a certain drill diameter on the
inside. This has the advantage that you can use a drillset you
already have.

What do you call the bits with the MT shank and where might we find them? I
can see that using such bits would be advantageous if you had a lot of same
size drilling to do. Also less margin for error.

dalecue

"Leo Lichtman" wrote:

[...]

usually listed as 'Morse Taper drill bits' or maybe 'Morse Taper shank'...
available from most any Industrial Supplymetalworking/machine shop
such as MSC, J&L, McMaster Carr, etc - Travers Tool used to have
best prices but it's been awhikle scince I checked them

BTW th MT shank drills are relatively pricey

HTH
Dale

Lobby Dosser

"Leo Lichtman" wrote:

[...]

Thanks. Did some searching and checked prices. OUCH! Think I'll stick
with the jacobs chuck for now.

On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 12:08:40 GMT, "dalecue"
wrote:

BTW th MT shank drills are relatively pricey

And how !!!

I needed a 22mm #2MT drill bit for use in making an implement
for my tractor.

Good quality (Dormer, I think - it is at #1 son's house now)

$50 Oz

Hell, I bought about 40 used ones in 6 sizes to 20mm at an auction
for $15, just needed sharpening, although some were well worn with
sharpening.
Alan
in beautiful Golden Bay, Western Oz, South 32.25.42, East 115.45.44 GMT+8
VK6 YAB ICQ 6581610 to reply, change oz to au in address