dalecue

Lobby Dosser wrote in message ...
"Leo Lichtman" wrote:

"Lobby Dosser" wrote: Jacobs Chuck. Search on 'jacobs chuck' at
www.woodcraft.com (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^
That's probably the best answer, but there are two other ways you can
go. Knowing the Morse taper number for yo9ur tailstock, you can get
drill bits with that taper on the shank. The main advantage is that
they use up less of the space between the spindle and tailstock, which
could matter if you are drilling into the end of a long spindle. It
is also possible to buy collets with a Morse taper to fit your lathe,
on the outside, and a bore to fit a certain drill diameter on the
inside. This has the advantage that you can use a drillset you
already have.

What do you call the bits with the MT shank and where might we find them? I
can see that using such bits would be advantageous if you had a lot of same
size drilling to do. Also less margin for error.

usually listed as 'Morse Taper drill bits' or maybe 'Morse Taper shank'...
available from most any Industrial Supplymetalworking/machine shop
such as MSC, J&L, McMaster Carr, etc - Travers Tool used to have
best prices but it's been awhikle scince I checked them

BTW th MT shank drills are relatively pricey

HTH
Dale