n2sawdust

Default New lathe choices....help.....

Good news, the wife says I can buy tools.....BAD news, not enough money for
everything I want (imagine that)
I want a new lathe. Here are some of the choices I am looking at and I
need some real world help.
Harbor freight (don't laugh, I have a small one now and it has been great
for what I have asked it to do)
Harbor Freight 34706 (12", varible speed) on sale $180
Harbor Freight 90265 (15", variable speed, looks like a knockoff of the
Craftsman 15") $399
Craftsman 15" VS lathe $449
Delta 14" $550

I know the Delta is good. But does anyone have experience with the other
tools? All advise is welcome and appreciated.

Larry

I agree on everything EXCEPT the Delta. If you had the money to
splurge, a Nova 3K (about $1000) would be some better. Otherwise the
Delta is at least an order of magnitude better than the others you
listed. It's also a good deal better than the Jet 14". Quite
honestly, there's nothing wrong with the Delta. It just doesn't have
snob appeal.
Lem Bledsoe

I have a 14 40 Delta. Will take half of Woodcraft listed price. It's in
Kentucky.
e-mail me if interested.

---

AAvK

Better link belting, leather and metal studs, different sizes and I bought one myself:
http://www.lathes.co.uk/ What is available here I have not found in these America's.
Reasonable prices, shipping costs and fast shipping from a printed lable.

Alex

Frosty Thunder

Bill, I have to agree with you completely. Working on a quality machine is
well beyond words once you do it. Not only that, but a machine that will
last a long time is well worth it. Saving to buy the right machine is the
right move.

George Yoder

"Bill Rubenstein" wrote in message
. net...
Assuming that what you have still works, I suggest that you save for a while
more and use
what you have for now. Every machine on that list will limit you severely.
Can you quit
smoking and put the money in a lathe pot? That way you could kill two birds
with one stone.

Bill

In article
outcrafting.com,
says...
Good news, the wife says I can buy tools.....BAD news, not enough money
for
everything I want (imagine that)
I want a new lathe. Here are some of the choices I am looking at and I
need some real world help.
Harbor freight (don't laugh, I have a small one now and it has been great
for what I have asked it to do)
Harbor Freight 34706 (12", varible speed) on sale $180
Harbor Freight 90265 (15", variable speed, looks like a knockoff of the
Craftsman 15") $399
Craftsman 15" VS lathe $449
Delta 14" $550

I know the Delta is good. But does anyone have experience with the other
tools? All advise is welcome and appreciated.

AAvK

Good news, the wife says I can buy tools.....BAD news, not enough money for
everything I want (imagine that)
I want a new lathe. Here are some of the choices I am looking at and I
need some real world help.
Harbor freight (don't laugh, I have a small one now and it has been great
for what I have asked it to do)
Harbor Freight 34706 (12", varible speed) on sale $180
Harbor Freight 90265 (15", variable speed, looks like a knockoff of the
Craftsman 15") $399
Craftsman 15" VS lathe $449
Delta 14" $550
I know the Delta is good. But does anyone have experience with the other
tools? All advise is welcome and appreciated.

Harbor Freight has Woodfast heavy machines, and I have searched but cannot find a
source for parts for their particular model. Nor any reference to this model, anywhere.
seems to be a good price. Free shipping too.

Alex

Larry

I agree EXCEPT for the Delta. If you can save up $1000 get a Nova 3K,
but if you can't (or don't want to spend that much) the Delta is a
"best 2nd choice". There's nothing wrong with it. It just doesn't have
snob appeal.
Derek Hartzell

It's not just snob appeal. The bearings are only about 3" apart on the
Delta, and will wear out and induce a lot of vibration if you give it heavy
use. Also, It gets very exciting to turn natural edge pieces of 14"
diameter on the Delta at 450 rpms. I have a new headstock I built with a
variable speed motor purchased from Vega. Much better. The camshafts on
both the Delta tailstock and toolrest holder bend permanently if locked down
hard. The toolrest holder shaft may have bent partly due to a catch.

Derek

"Larry" wrote in message
om...
I agree EXCEPT for the Delta. If you can save up $1000 get a Nova 3K,
but if you can't (or don't want to spend that much) the Delta is a
"best 2nd choice". There's nothing wrong with it. It just doesn't have
snob appeal.

n2sawdust

Thanks for all of the advice. My replies are as follows...
1) I don't smoke...I am a neurology resident and see too many strokes to
even contemplate the habit so no money from there.
2) I would love the NOVA but the timing is not right for that big of a
purchase. I will be moving to a new house in 2 years and then I will have
a real shop built that can house a proper lathe.
3) I went ahead a purchased the HF lathe and will use the extra money for
better gouges, grinder, and chucks....
4) I will try to post some pics of my future works....

Thanks for the advice......

AAvK

3) I went ahead a purchased the HF lathe and will use the extra money for
better gouges, grinder, and chucks....
4) I will try to post some pics of my future works....

Whoa there... which HF lathe???

Alex