Greg G.

Default My First Lidded Vessel

Well, this is my first attempt a turning a lidded vessel.
Cut from green cherry, it was smoothed slightly with a green 3M
sanding pad, but otherwise right off the lathe. The finish is not as
bright and shiny as it should be once dried and finished.

I left the lid tenon slightly oversize so that after drying, there
would be some stock left to fit it into the cup perfectly. When dry,
I plan to coat it with tung oil and polish it out - assuming it
doesn't split in half. :-\

For those of you who don't can't get usenet binaries, here is a link:

http://thevideodoc.com/images/LiddedVessel01.jpg

Otherwise, it's in a.b.p.w

Comments are Welcomed.

Greg G.
mac davis

On Mon, 11 Oct 2004 09:55:15 -0400, Greg G. wrote:

Very nice!
I used to make them years ago when they were called "round boxes"...
Very popular gift for the ladies, as the small ones make a cool place
to keep the special necklace or whatever..

Well, this is my first attempt a turning a lidded vessel.
Cut from green cherry, it was smoothed slightly with a green 3M
sanding pad, but otherwise right off the lathe. The finish is not as
bright and shiny as it should be once dried and finished.

I left the lid tenon slightly oversize so that after drying, there
would be some stock left to fit it into the cup perfectly. When dry,
I plan to coat it with tung oil and polish it out - assuming it
doesn't split in half. :-\

For those of you who don't can't get usenet binaries, here is a link:

http://thevideodoc.com/images/LiddedVessel01.jpg

Otherwise, it's in a.b.p.w

Comments are Welcomed.

Greg G.

Greg G.

mac davis said:

Very nice!

Thanks! I just hope it survives the drying and finishing process. I
didn't have a plan when I started and just freehanded the thing.

I used to make them years ago when they were called "round boxes"...
Very popular gift for the ladies, as the small ones make a cool place
to keep the special necklace or whatever..

They probably still call them that - I'm not really up on the
vernacular. But I've a mental block to calling round objects a box...

Greg G.

AAvK

I really like the vessel you made. For a 1st turning (compared to me) it is
really well done.

What lathe did you get?

Alex

Greg G.

AAvK said:

I really like the vessel you made. For a 1st turning (compared to me) it is
really well done.

Thanks. I can see how this could be addictive.

What lathe did you get?

Just a mini lathe - Jet 1014B w/extention bed. The manager at the
store made me a deal I couldn't refuse.

Greg G.
Greg G.

Barry N. Turner said:

Hmmmm................I thought you said you were a newbie.........very nice
work.

Thanks!
Yea, I'm a TOTAL newbie - complete with all the stupid mistakes and
dangerous assumptions. ;-)

Greg G.
mac davis

On Mon, 11 Oct 2004 14:24:44 -0400, Greg G. wrote:

mac davis said:

Very nice!

Thanks! I just hope it survives the drying and finishing process. I
didn't have a plan when I started and just freehanded the thing.

snip
IMO, that's the true "spirit of the lathe", Greg...
My wife calls it my "horizonal pottery wheel", because I just put
stock between the tail stocks and go..