Peter Holt

Default Glue

I need to join two relatively large pieces of wood before turning the
resultant larger piece. What is the best type of glue for this purpose?
Many years ago I remember using Cascamite with great confidence but now all
the glues stocked in the local DIY stores seem to be PVA based. Are these as
good or better? Thanks for any suggestions.
Peter

Tom

Peter wrote:I need to join two relatively large pieces of wood before turning
the
resultant larger piece. What is the best type of glue for this purpose?
Many years ago I remember using Cascamite with great confidence but now all
the glues stocked in the local DIY stores seem to be PVA based. Are these as
good or better? Thanks for any suggestions.
Peter

What kind and how dry is the wood? Tom
Work at your leisure!

Peter Holt

The wood is very dry but I am not sure as to the type as it was given to me
after being stored in a warehouse for several years. It seems to be a
construction type wood that is red in colour with a fairly coarse grain,
"Tom" wrote in message
Peter wrote:I need to join two relatively large pieces of wood before
turning

the
resultant larger piece. What is the best type of glue for this purpose?
Many years ago I remember using Cascamite with great confidence but now
all
the glues stocked in the local DIY stores seem to be PVA based. Are these
as
good or better? Thanks for any suggestions.
Peter

What kind and how dry is the wood? Tom
Work at your leisure!

Chuck

On Wed, 6 Oct 2004 06:08:18 -0400, "George Saridakis"
wrote:

I have switched from Titebond and System 3 Epoxy to Gorilla glue. Since =
the switch, I have not had any joint separations in my laminated vases, =
and I use a large variety of woods including oily exotics.

I second the vote for Gorilla glue. I've been using it for years,
both turning, and, 7 or 8 years ago I was making barrettes with it.
Those joints are still holding up, although they are only about 1/8"
wide, over the length of the piece, and are subjected to fairly
serious stresses. I use it almost exclusively with oily exotics, which
I turn more than domestic woods.

--
Chuck *#:^)
chaz3913(AT)yahoo(DOT)com

September 11, 2001 - Never Forget
Tom

Peter wroteThe wood is very dry but I am not sure as to the type as it was
given to me
after being stored in a warehouse for several years. It seems to be a
construction type wood that is red in colour with a fairly coarse grain,

Gorilla glue will probably do fine. Get a good fit, and follow the instructions
on the bottle. Tom
Work at your leisure!
JRJohnson

Peter, 15 years ago I glued up some 3" thick x 17" wide mahogany into a disc
more than 48" in diameter. Then I glued 6 thicknesses of 2x10x10" on one
side so that I could attach a faceplate and get the disc out away from the
lathe. Did this so I could get the tool rest to the back side of the disc
and work (turn) on it. I used Titebond 1 and let the glue dry 3 days. No
problems. Turned the disc to a finished thickness of 3/8"-1/2". It did not
come apart then, and is still together.

Based upon my personal experience, I believe you could use Titebond 1 or II
with no worries. Just make sure that the mating edges are straight and
true.

Regards,

James R. Johnson
Kerrville, TX