Serial # 19781010

Default CA and accellerator

Are there any toxic problems with using CA glue plus using
accelerator? I want to use them on baby rattles that will be made in
two pieces and then joined.
J. Clarke

Serial # 19781010 wrote:

Are there any toxic problems with using CA glue plus using
accelerator? I want to use them on baby rattles that will be made in
two pieces and then joined.

CA is used as surgical glue--once cured it should be no problem at all. The
accelerator I don't know about.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
Owen Lowe

In article ,
Serial # 19781010 wrote:

Are there any toxic problems with using CA glue plus using
accelerator? I want to use them on baby rattles that will be made in
two pieces and then joined.

I don't think there are toxicity problems after the stuff has cured -
but you could pull up the material safety data sheet (msds) available on
a gov't site. (Can't recall the URL, but it shouldn't be difficult to
find.)

On a second note, I'd not use CA for such a project. My experience has
been that CA is brittle and can fail fairly easily. (Just a couple weeks
ago, a turning put together with CA, which hangs from my truck's
rearview mirror, just fell apart... "snick"... one piece was still
hanging while the rest was on the floormat.) I believe I'd use standard
yellow glue for a rattle. As a matter of fact, that *is* what I use for
rattles and I've not had a failure yet - even after bashing a couple
with a wood mallet to test them. The wood broke but not the joint.
Bob Darrah

It's that Oregon sunshine! It'll do it to CA every time!

Bob Darrah
West Linn, Oregon
"Owen Lowe" wrote in message
news
In article ,
Serial # 19781010 wrote:

[...]

Bob Pritchard

I've had the same experience with CA glue as Owen. It starts out fairly brittle
and gets much worse with age. Definately not for a baby rattle.
Works great for glue blocks and temporary bonds for small cracks but outside of
that a poor quality glue for most applications. Use titebond.

Are there any toxic problems with using CA glue plus using
accelerator? I want to use them on baby rattles that will be made in
two pieces and then joined.

Bob, Naugatuck Ct.
http://www.outofcontrol-woodturning.com