DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   CA and accellerator (https://www.diybanter.com/woodturning/71311-ca-accellerator.html)

Serial # 19781010 September 28th 04 04:25 AM

CA and accellerator

Are there any toxic problems with using CA glue plus using
accelerator? I want to use them on baby rattles that will be made in
two pieces and then joined.

J. Clarke September 28th 04 04:40 AM

Serial # 19781010 wrote:

Are there any toxic problems with using CA glue plus using
accelerator? I want to use them on baby rattles that will be made in
two pieces and then joined.

CA is used as surgical glue--once cured it should be no problem at all. The
accelerator I don't know about.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Owen Lowe September 28th 04 05:37 AM

In article ,
Serial # 19781010 wrote:

Are there any toxic problems with using CA glue plus using
accelerator? I want to use them on baby rattles that will be made in
two pieces and then joined.

I don't think there are toxicity problems after the stuff has cured -
but you could pull up the material safety data sheet (msds) available on
a gov't site. (Can't recall the URL, but it shouldn't be difficult to
find.)

On a second note, I'd not use CA for such a project. My experience has
been that CA is brittle and can fail fairly easily. (Just a couple weeks
ago, a turning put together with CA, which hangs from my truck's
rearview mirror, just fell apart... "snick"... one piece was still
hanging while the rest was on the floormat.) I believe I'd use standard
yellow glue for a rattle. As a matter of fact, that *is* what I use for
rattles and I've not had a failure yet - even after bashing a couple
with a wood mallet to test them. The wood broke but not the joint.

Bob Darrah September 30th 04 05:13 PM

It's that Oregon sunshine! It'll do it to CA every time!

Bob Darrah
West Linn, Oregon

Bob Pritchard October 1st 04 01:37 AM

I've had the same experience with CA glue as Owen. It starts out fairly brittle
and gets much worse with age. Definately not for a baby rattle.
Works great for glue blocks and temporary bonds for small cracks but outside of
that a poor quality glue for most applications. Use titebond.

Are there any toxic problems with using CA glue plus using
accelerator? I want to use them on baby rattles that will be made in
two pieces and then joined.

Bob, Naugatuck Ct.
http://www.outofcontrol-woodturning.com

Ken Moon October 1st 04 08:40 PM

"Chuck" wrote in message
On 01 Oct 2004 00:37:09 GMT, (Bob Pritchard)

SNIP .......
I use either Titebond II or Gorilla Glue for baby rattles. Both (as
well as the CA glue) are inert when dry. If you want the immediacy of
a CA glue, go to a flexible one, with rubber in it.

=====================================
Can you give a brand name/ source for rubberized CA?

Ken

Chuck October 1st 04 11:15 PM

wrote:

I've had the same experience with CA glue as Owen. It starts out fairly brittle
and gets much worse with age. Definately not for a baby rattle.
Works great for glue blocks and temporary bonds for small cracks but outside of
that a poor quality glue for most applications. Use titebond.

Are there any toxic problems with using CA glue plus using
accelerator? I want to use them on baby rattles that will be made in
two pieces and then joined.

I use either Titebond II or Gorilla Glue for baby rattles. Both (as
well as the CA glue) are inert when dry. If you want the immediacy of
a CA glue, go to a flexible one, with rubber in it.
--
Chuck *#:^)
chaz3913(AT)yahoo(DOT)com

September 11, 2001 - Never Forget

Chuck October 6th 04 06:56 PM

On Fri, 01 Oct 2004 19:40:23 GMT, "Ken Moon"
wrote:

"Chuck" wrote in message
On 01 Oct 2004 00:37:09 GMT, (Bob Pritchard)

SNIP .......
I use either Titebond II or Gorilla Glue for baby rattles. Both (as
well as the CA glue) are inert when dry. If you want the immediacy of
a CA glue, go to a flexible one, with rubber in it.

Can you give a brand name/ source for rubberized CA?

Craft Supplies carries one variety of it, although I can't remember
the name of it at the moment. I think Berea Hardwoods carries one,
also, but I can't find their catalog at the moment, to verify.