RESPITE95

Default Programs for woodturning club

I got lucky, being elected program chairman for the up coming year in our small
woodturning club. After you have seen all of the local woodturners do their
thing, where do you go for programs? Any suggestions. I could just recycle
them through again, but I am afraid I will lose interest rather than generate
it. We have about one good years worth of local turners willing to demo, the
rest beg off and never share the load. What kind of programs have you enjoyed
this past year if you are in a turnig club? GCS
David Wade

How about:

How to photograph your work

How to sell your work (is there a local gallery owner that would talk?)

Technique Comparisons - two turners making the same thing

Maybe have a thick-skinned beginner being taught by one of the experts
so people can see mistakes, and they don't have to be afraid to ask
'stupid' questions since the beginner will do that for them.

What kind of demos have you run? Maybe there are some common ones that
have been overlooked -- natural edges; turning thin, really thin;
texturing and piercing; spheres; slide show of starting with a tree and
getting to a blank on the lathe; long-stemmed goblet, and on.

In September I am doing our club demo and one of the subjects I will
include is how to execute a variety of catches. We all work on beads and
coves and bowls, etc. However, we avoid studying the dreaded catch. By
working on it we should be able to figure out how NOT to do it. That's
the idea, anyway. If it works out as planned the video will be on sale
in time for your Christmas wish list ;o) . Yeah, right....

David
--
http://www.wademade.net

RESPITE95 wrote:

I got lucky, being elected program chairman for the up coming year in our small
woodturning club. After you have seen all of the local woodturners do their
thing, where do you go for programs? Any suggestions. I could just recycle
them through again, but I am afraid I will lose interest rather than generate
it. We have about one good years worth of local turners willing to demo, the
rest beg off and never share the load. What kind of programs have you enjoyed
this past year if you are in a turnig club? GCS

Ken Grunke

RESPITE95 wrote:
I got lucky, being elected program chairman for the up coming year in our small
woodturning club. After you have seen all of the local woodturners do their
thing, where do you go for programs? Any suggestions. I could just recycle
them through again, but I am afraid I will lose interest rather than generate
it. We have about one good years worth of local turners willing to demo, the
rest beg off and never share the load. What kind of programs have you enjoyed
this past year if you are in a turnig club? GCS

The best thing you can do is get big-name turners for a demo. You have
to charge members extra for that--we're a small club also (52 members)
but we managed Jeff Pohl, Ed Szakonyi, Alan Lacer and DAVID ELLSWORTH in
the last couple years, and Dick Sing last spring plus Robert Rosand
coming up in September. Members paid $15 for Dick Sing's demo/lecture
and $30 for a hands-on (2 days). Ellsworth was and Rosand will be almost
double that, but members had no problem paying.

Ken Grunke
SW Wisconsin
http://www.token.crwoodturner.com/
Member, Coulee Region Woodturners AAW chapter
http://www.crwoodturner.com/

Lance Kanaby

I got lucky, being elected program chairman for the up coming year in our small
woodturning club. After you have seen all of the local woodturners do their
thing, where do you go for programs? Any suggestions. I could just recycle
them through again, but I am afraid I will lose interest rather than generate
it. We have about one good years worth of local turners willing to demo, the
rest beg off and never share the load. What kind of programs have you enjoyed
this past year if you are in a turnig club? GCS

Why not go outside the box for your demo programs? We did this with a
brand new club two years ago and it worked great. I don't know where
you are located, but you may be able to call on some of the local
business that are associated with woodturning, woodworking, chainsaws,
abrasives, health & safety, finishes, lumber mills, tree surgeons and
such as the list really goes on. This list should keep you and your
club busy for a long time. Remember that commercial people want to
sell something, but that's OK because they give out samples too.
Lance Kanaby
Lockport Woodworkers, an AAW Chapter
Tony Manella

Our club just recently went from bi-monthly meetings to monthly meetings.
We chose not to do 6 more demos a year but opted for round table
discussions. Topics have included wood identification, methods of
finishing, sharpening and others. This gets everyone in the club involved
and newbies tend to ask a lot more questions at something like this then
they would at a demo. Hope this helps.
Tony Manella
ndd1"at"prolog.net (remove "at")
http://home.ptd.net/~ndd1/
Lehigh Valley Woodturners
http://www.lehighvalleywoodturners.com/

"RESPITE95" wrote in message
I got lucky, being elected program chairman for the up coming year in our

small
woodturning club. After you have seen all of the local woodturners do

their
thing, where do you go for programs? Any suggestions. I could just

recycle
them through again, but I am afraid I will lose interest rather than

generate
it. We have about one good years worth of local turners willing to demo,

the
rest beg off and never share the load. What kind of programs have you

enjoyed
this past year if you are in a turnig club? GCS

Arch

A competition between turning teams will often get the 'beg-offs' to
begin sharing the load and available for future demos. Pole (bungee)
lathe turning competitions always attract interest. Arch

Fortiter,