David Wade

Default Programs for woodturning club

How about:

How to photograph your work

How to sell your work (is there a local gallery owner that would talk?)

Technique Comparisons - two turners making the same thing

Maybe have a thick-skinned beginner being taught by one of the experts
so people can see mistakes, and they don't have to be afraid to ask
'stupid' questions since the beginner will do that for them.

What kind of demos have you run? Maybe there are some common ones that
have been overlooked -- natural edges; turning thin, really thin;
texturing and piercing; spheres; slide show of starting with a tree and
getting to a blank on the lathe; long-stemmed goblet, and on.

In September I am doing our club demo and one of the subjects I will
include is how to execute a variety of catches. We all work on beads and
coves and bowls, etc. However, we avoid studying the dreaded catch. By
working on it we should be able to figure out how NOT to do it. That's
the idea, anyway. If it works out as planned the video will be on sale
in time for your Christmas wish list ;o) . Yeah, right....

David
--
http://www.wademade.net

RESPITE95 wrote:

I got lucky, being elected program chairman for the up coming year in our small
woodturning club. After you have seen all of the local woodturners do their
thing, where do you go for programs? Any suggestions. I could just recycle
them through again, but I am afraid I will lose interest rather than generate
it. We have about one good years worth of local turners willing to demo, the
rest beg off and never share the load. What kind of programs have you enjoyed
this past year if you are in a turnig club? GCS